Is it worth it?

SaleenXP8

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 SaleenXP8 #12
I've been twidling my thumbs in a state of indecisiveness.

I have a Mach 8 in my XP8 and it sounds very reasonable for a stock system. Unfortunately, the face plate on the front burned out.

Peice o' crap.

It still plays. But the face plate deal reallybugs me.

I have a line on some dealer cost Alpine stuff. I was thinking about dropping a fulll-on Alpine system in (About 2 grand worth of gear)

Two questions: Will it sound better?

An two, will it take any resale off my car?

All the best

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know exactly what you are buying. All alpine can be an nice, or middle of the road system. But it should sound better than the stock mach 8 system. Especially once you get a custom sub enclosure done.

It can improve the resale value if you sale it with the system. Regardless buy the harnesses so you don't have to destroy the factory wiring. This will help you maintain the resale value.

Besides, I don't think the value of a saleen xp8 will decrease because of an aftermarket stereo :D

Thanks dude

Thanks, I guess I'm worried about a crappy install.

Screw it, I should just do it.

Thanks for putting up with my hand wringing.

2 grand would easily cover for a new deck, door speakers, and a sub or two with an enclosure. After that, you should have plenty of headroom leftover for a professional install, and they should include a warranty on their work, so no worries there.

If you spend $2,000 on equipment alone (at cost), and install it all yourself.. Well.. It would be like comparing a movie theatre sound system to your alarm clock with an am/fm radio.

Do it. : )

If I had 2k to spend...the ONLY thing ALPINE I would spend it on would be a new deck...

I'd suggest the 9815......$350

If you want to amplify your system, check out www.avionixxusa.com I'd suggest the 400.2 model.........$200 (STRONG AMPS)

Speakers up front...I'd REALLY strongly suggest Adire Audio's Koda 6.1 component system. Check them out at www.adireaudio.com. (REALLY GOOD MIDBASS!)...$350

If you want a sub....a GREAT 12" would be Stereo Integrity's Magnum D2. Probably one of the best 12" subwoofers on the market now. $300 www.stereointegrity.com (If you want more info on this, please contact me at blackpony19@yahoo.com)

A really nice amp for this subwoofer would be the Avionixx 800.2....$300

Throw in a $150 for install and you are set with a VERY HIGH quality setup....it would FAR outweight an Alpine system...and you wouldn't have to pay near the price....

Interesting.

Wow, thanks for the thoughful reccomends.

Unfortunately, I get a screaming deal on Alpine. So it's hard to look at anything else.

That deck you reccomend - what makes that one so good?

Can I run a 12 inch in the existing enclosure? I know mxp (?) makes a custo insert for the ten, but the 12"

Also, tell me about that sony subwoofer?

Thanks for your time.

John

Interesting.

Wow, thanks for the thoughful reccomends.

Unfortunately, I get a screaming deal on Alpine. (It pens out to roughly $1,600, I get it for $800.) So it's hard to look at anything else.

That deck you reccomend - what makes that one so good?

Can I run a 12 inch in the existing enclosure? I know mxp (?) makes a custo insert for the ten, but the 12"

Also, tell me about that subwoofer?

Thanks for your time.

John

MTX is the company that makes the custom enclosure to work with your stock enclosure...only comes in a 10" though as far as i know, going to a 12" will leave you with some fab work but it is definately a reachable goal, also Alpine is quite a good audio company and if you get ALL your stuff at cost, why not go all out, in-dash, touch screen headunits, tweeters, high-mid range speakers???? i'm not really sure i understand what you want to do, cuz you started out with a burt out display on your current head unit, but now because it burned out you wanna invest 2 grand in a full system? i think maybe i'm missing something....

9815 has these very useful features that the lower lines don't....This is the MOST flexible unit without really putting a hole in your pocket...

5-band parametric EQ, 6-channel digital time correction, 6-position crossover with variable slope

Adjustable 6,12,18, and 24db slopes...**************

i-Personalize — create customized Bass Engine setups and text greetings

Another unit I'll suggest is the 8061 model from Eclipse...but that might be more feature oriented than what you may need...

Thanks again

No, It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to replace display with an entire system.

But I have little tolerance for hodge podge so I thought I would replace it entirely.

I agree, Alpine may not be the end-all-be-all for some of you, but as long as it's a marked improvement over what I already have it's where I'm have to stay.

Yes, I do get everything at wholesale, so any advice on particular products is much apreciated.

The MTX looks like a tidy unit for a 10" and I'm not sure what the extra added labor and expense of going with a 12" would provide. (For the record, I am proponent of the American "Big is Good" philosophy. But aside from the greater cone area providing a little blip on the system, frequency response, I'm not sure that with all the ambient road noise, I'm going to be able to distiguish the bump at 60hz that a 12" would provide.)

Here are is the poop I'm thinking of:

CDA-9807
In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller 280.00

Type-R Front Speakers
SPR-176A
6-1/2" Type-R Component 2-Way Speaker

Type-R Rear Door Speakers
SPR-694A
6" x 9" Type-R Coaxial 2-Way Speaker 200.00

Type-R Subwoofers
SWR-1021D
10" Type-R Series Subwoofer (2ohm + 2ohm)

System Amplifier - 5 Channel
MRV-F450
5/4/3 Channel Power Amplifier 500.00

Security
SEC-150R
Remote Control Security System 250.00

Any thoughts on this stuff. (Alpine only)

Here is my objective.

I'm not the audiophile that you guys are. I just want to make sure I'm replacing a serviceable stock system with one that will be an improvement.

And not sound like ass.

I really appreciate your input.

John

Correction

Make that the 9815 head unit as per Xaggerate suggested.

Back