Is it wrong to install heads with exhaust manifold atached | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it wrong to install heads with exhaust manifold atached

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
I have taken the heads off with the exhaust manifold attached. I tried taking off the exhaust manifolds first, but it is really tough and one bolt I stripped the head so I had to leave it on and cut off bolt later.
Now to reinstall heads, I would sure like to have them already attached first. BUT, could that weight off to the side cantilever the heads causing problems sealing the head gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's good. Any other opinions out there? Let's start a census.

This shouldn't be a problem. If you got them out with the manifolds on they should go back in just fine, that's what the alignment dowels are for.

Had been having trouble with my brand new heads sending coolant into the cylinders and when I removed and replaced the second time, I got exhaust blowing pressure into the cooling system. When I pulled them the second time, I sent them to a NAPA machine shop. They were warped and that is probably the way they came straight from Clearwater. cost an extra $70 to get them machined. He told me not to install with manifolds attached. So I did. Now I have a failed ICM and have to get it replaced, so I won't know until tomorrow if my 3rd install is good.

Back