• Register Today It's free!

Is maaco okay???

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
I bought my Ex at a discount because it has a dent in the rear quarter. Now I want it to look good so Im looking at body shops. Is maaco okay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never been to one but from what I hear, it really depends on the shop. You're going to have to check them all out.

I had rhino liner put on my f250 at a Maaco in Indiana several years ago. I would not go back.... They sanded down the bed to give a better grip for the rhino liner, but in doing so they put several cuts into the back side of the cab! It looks like they used a wheel grinder to sand some areas thus causing it to cut into the metal of the cab. There were also areas where they sanded WAY 2-3 inches past where the rhino liner would be. I had to fight with them several weeks to get them to fix what they messed up. They also rhino lined over my 5th wheel hitch mount which they were not suppose to do because it cemented it in place and made it unusable.

I agree it depends to which one you go to. shop around and talk to the guys doing the work. I had one of my trucks painted at my local maaco and they did an unbelievably great job.

I would really check around at different maacos and look at the quality of their work. I've had a car painted by one location in Dallas, and it turned poo-brown whenever it got wet, but would polish out to a pretty maroon, too bad I was not the owner when the car got painted otherwise I'd have raised cain with them! This same shop painted mom's car ('92 LeSabre) and we took it back to them about 6 times before we gave up and sold the car.

Dad and sis had cars painted by them at other locations and while the bodywork was marginal, the paint quality was pretty decent.

iffy. I would only use them to put a cheap paint job on a car I was selling.

A smart consumer should keep one very important thing in mind.

Y G W Y P 4

Pretty simple, really.

If you do the body work and all they have to do is gun a car, maybe. That's what they did on my Mustang, but I did everything- it even went in stripped.

DSCF0749.jpg

If they have to do anything but spray it, (including masking) forget it. as was said above- you get what you pay for.

If you're needing body work, hit up a real shop or do it yourself.

I was happy with the paint for $250, but I wouldn't let them do any prep work whatsoever.

I also had a satisfactoy job done there. Two years ago, had my Jeep painted. Got the base/clear job. Looked like what was promissed. A like new finish.

If you do the body work and all they have to do is gun a car, maybe. That's what they did on my Mustang, but I did everything- it even went in stripped.

If they have to do anything but spray it, (including masking) forget it. as was said above- you get what you pay for.

If you're needing body work, hit up a real shop or do it yourself.

I was happy with the paint for $250, but I wouldn't let them do any prep work whatsoever.

I've heard some reports on other boards that some Maacos won't take a car if you've done the prep work. Don't know why this is, but once again you're going to have to ask your particular shop what they'll do. The quality of work and policies of each one appears to be different, even tho it is a chain.

I have seen better quality jobs from "mom and pop" places.

One guy I used to work with got one of those quickie in and out jobs. Looked great for the first year. After that, anywhere it was "hard" to prep around, the paint flaked off. Like around the door handles, antenna, emblems, and whatnot. Looked like crap since it started out light blue, and was repainted a shade of maroon.

I had Maaco do my 87 Ranger a few years back - Prep work is very minimal, at best. Even if you pay them to do "prep" save yourself a lot of hassle later. Pull off all emblems, mouldings, and things like wiper arms and such. strip the truck down. this also includes headlights, taillights, anything that's removable. Paint didnt do too bad however. Just expect them to spend zero time masking anything.

I have seen a lot of shoddy work come from Maaco. So, I dunno.

I agree it depends to which one you go to. shop around and talk to the guys doing the work. I had one of my trucks painted at my local maaco and they did an unbelievably great job.

I would also like to add that i did not get the $250 paint job ha. Even at Maaco it ended up costing me $1600, but other places quoted me at $6000. Definately check and try to talk to the people though:thumbsup:

are you looking to get the whole truck painted or just get the dent fixed? If you're fixing just the dent I'd get it done at a private shop with a good reputation. If you're looking to get the whole truck done you'll have to spend a good chunk of change to get it done right. There's no magic just because it's maaco, good paint takes time and if you're spending only $250 on a paint job you're not getting a lot of prep, not very good paint, and definitely not much care when spraying.

I'm sure there are a few maaco shops out there that do good work, but you have to look at the stats. If 1 out of 10 shops does a decent job, you have a much better chance of getting a terrible paint job than a good one. IMO, there's nothing that'll drop the value of a car faster than a bad paint job.

Back