• Register Today It's free!

is mine ltd slip or open diff?

sicki

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4x2
how do i tell if my 1999 2wd 4.0l explorer is ltd slip or open differential?
depending on either is there a different type of fluid recomendation for my differential fluid change?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look on the inside of the drivers door. I believe D4 indicates it is a LS. You need to run synthetic gear oil and LS additive.

how do i tell if my 1999 2wd 4.0l explorer is ltd slip or open differential?
depending on either is there a different type of fluid recomendation for my differential fluid change?

thanks

Like mentioned, check the sticker on the drivers door, it has a code under the heading axle, codes are listed below

Explorer
Door Code
41..... Open 8.8"…...... 3.27
42..... Open 8.8".…..... 4.10
43..... Open 8.8"…...... 3.08
44..... Open 8.8"…...... 3.73
45..... Open 8.8".…..... 3.55
46..... Open 8.8".…..... 3.73
D1..... L/S 8.8".…....... 3.27
D2..... L/S 8.8".…....... 4.10
D4..... L/S 8.8".…....... 3.73
D5..... L/S 8.8".…....... 3.73

If it is an LSD, use synthetic and the friction modifier (75/140 i think??) Look up in your owners manual what you should be running if it isn't. (My way of saying I do not know cuz I have a LSD)

thanks for the help...awesome.

how bout some fluid type and weight recomendations...Amsoil? Do they have an LS additive? How much LS additive per quart of diff fluid.

I have the D4 ltd slip 8.8

how bout some fluid type and weight recomendations...Amsoil? Do they have an LS additive? How much LS additive per quart of diff fluid.

I have the D4 ltd slip 8.8

I used the Ford synthetic in my rear LSD, and the Ford friction modifier. I might have paid more for the Ford product but I figured they made the rear end, so why not use their oil in it? I know it is a synthetic, pretty sure it is a 75W/140, one bottle (maybe 6 or 8oz.) of modifier added. The whole diff, when full, should have close to 3 quarts of oil in it.

how do you know when its full, it overflowed? then i put the filler bolt back in..?

Just fill until it starts flowing back out the fill hole on the drivers front side of the diff housing.

After I rebuilt my trac-lok diff clutch pack I tried to go without the friction modifier just so my diff would be nice and stiff/grabby but it was making some crazy noises around turns and would not go away even after doing some turns to get the fluid between the discs. I gave in and added the friction modifier and the noise went away. Go figure! I guess what I am saying is that they say to use it for a reason so it is not just BS. An older diff may be able to get away without it but it probably isn't worth the potential trouble of leaving it out.

thanks everyone...off to the parts store i go....

anyone every use Neo Synthetic Oil Products? they sponsored me when i raced jet skis...only used there 2 stroke oil though...I might give them a shout to see what they have to offer...hopefully a discount...lol

so i ended up getting mobil 1 LS 75/140.....says its for ltd slip applications...im thinking i dont need the LS additive now?

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. If you drive it and need the modifier, you will know rather quickly. If it chatters you need it.

Back