Is my 1997 Explorer 5.0L AWD 130k (economically) dead? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my 1997 Explorer 5.0L AWD 130k (economically) dead?

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Backed my 1997 V8 AWD with 130k into a wood light pole. Hit at driver side rear break light at maybe 5mph right on corner. Window in rear quarter panel smashed. rear light smashed. bumper damage. some damage to rear hatch but haven't tried opening for fear it wont close. Will post picture but may be days.

Drove it home 120 miles. No gas leak. Drives fine. But periodic but not continuous white or grey smoke from rear tail pipe. Never had this before.

Brought it to body shop (that replaced my from drive shaft the week before) and they gave me a 5k repair estimate. Why did they even bother spending the time to do it?? Beats me.

Shop guy said to fix rear light requires replacing rear quarter panel and the panel itself is $700. Grey / White smoke from tail pipe is also a concern.

SO IS IT DEAD OR NOT. I DO NOT (CANNOT) DO WORK ON MY CAR.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Economically Yes.

You will never get the amount of money you spend to fix it out of it if you try and sell?

Now, If your a totally blithering idiot, like me, that really likes the truck you can fix it.

I'm trying for a full Restoration plus extras.

However, I'm doing all of the work myself. It just takes time.

PIcs of damage?
To me that 1997 V8 with only 130K miles is a real gem!! I would love to own it wrecked or not, and I am not alone. 130K is considered low miles for a 302 Explorer and 97 is a very good year........

I love the vehicle... I'm not looking for it to be pretty. Only drivable (which it is). But need a window and working brake lights and turn signals and a working hatch... Plus the smoke from the tailpipe may be a real problem.

I've been looking for another Gen 2 V8 but found a 4.0L for sale one block away from home which I discuss in second post today... But want the 5.0 AWD...

I've seen AWD 5.0's in California with upwards and beyond 300k on the clock. Before you buy that 4.0 get specifics come back and share. I own 5. I can assure you, many on here hate them.

I don't see how backing into a light pole could have anything to do with smoke from the tailpipe. That's a different issue.

Bodywork with new replacement parts is very expensive and labor is the bulk of the cost.

Unless you can repair the damage yourself using salvage yard parts your truck is not worth fixing. You could buy another Explorer for 1/2 of what it will cost you to pay someone to repair yours. Sorry, but as with most major repairs our old trucks are not worth fixing unless you're capable of doing the work yourself.

I've seen AWD 5.0's in California with upwards and beyond 300k on the clock. Before you buy that 4.0 get specifics come back and share. I own 5. I can assure you, many on here hate them.

You own 5 v8s? 5 v6s? or 5 gen 2 explorers?

I've seen tough SOHCs and a SOHC that came to pieces without reason, avoid a 4.0, the 5R55Es aren't worth a gamble anymore IMHO. I drive 5.0s now, I got a ragged out one for $200 with 256K almost two years ago. Figured the drivetrain was shot, and outside of a front suspension, and transmission deciding life wasn't it anymore, I've had no complaints. I just rolled 276K on the original motor and rear axle.

koda2000 - when you say "good v8's" are you talking about the last several years of the v8 or some other way to differentiate between good and not so good.

I think he means v8 Explorers that are nice condition wise. All second gen V8 years are worthwhile.

koda2000 - when you say "good v8's" are you talking about the last several years of the v8 or some other way to differentiate between good and not so good.

Yes, I meant V8's in nice condition. That one was the nicest I've seen lately.

As far as I'm concerned the 99-01's were the best Gen II Explorer V8's, but the older ones are still about as reliable. The older ones with the tubular steel headers tended to develop cracks in the headers and improvements were made to the transmission at a certain point in time. Other than that they're all about the same. Older is just older and tend to have more wear and miles. I'm almost tempted to see what the guy will take for the one I posted the link for, but I'm trying to not accumulate any more Gen II Explorers.

Spot on advice here
96-2001 Explorer 5.0L V8 is what you want
Under 200K miles is a good find these days, under 150K is getting rare and under or around 100K is like the holy grail........

The truck with 130K on it and rear end damage is worth about $1500-2500 just because it is a 5.0 I could get $1200 just for the drivetrain

250K is just getting started........in the right hands

I got mine (was in New Mexico most of its life) and had 100k on it. Drive two hours and bought it at full asking price. Still has the factory stickers underneath. Paint is a little worn on the hood, but not a speck of rust anywhere.

They are still out there.

Yes they are I have a 104K downstairs just bought two months ago. The nice thing about some of these higher mile trucks is if you know what you are looking at you can find REBUILT 302's and 4r70w transmissions, I have scored more then one 306's (rebuilt 302) this way....

I don't think the 130K example I posted on the CL link for will last long. 2 years ago I posted my 2000 XLT 5.0 w/210K on it for $1,700 and had people beating down my door for it. I sold it within 2 days for the full asking price to some one 400 miles away. 2 years earlier I only gave $1,500 and I put a couple of hundred in it. That was a good truck mechanically, but nowhere near as nice or as clean as the one in the link I provided (plus mine had a lot more miles on it).

I've already turned down offers of $2,500 for the Eddie when it's V8 swapped because if you base the miles off the transmission it's gonna be at 131K. There came a point where it wasn't money anymore, I just wanted my truck. My Mountaineer I have hidden because at 124K for a driving truck? That's a bargain at the $400 I gave.

Here now, 275K (my 2000 has more than that) is the average on a V8, and I used to swear at 250K, a 302 Ex had to be worn out. I take that back, I can't tell mine outside of a few oil leaks from a new one.

Back