• Register Today It's free!

Is my 95 OBDII compliant?

Dash Riprock

Reaction score
City, State
LA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
I went to Autozone to pull error codes using their loaner Acton OBDII reader and it jsut kept displaying "Link Error". I had them give me a second reader and that wouldnt link up either.

Using the trobleshooting section of the instructions, I checked fuses and the connector but no go. It also said to check for a "VESI" sticker that would state compliance with OBDII requirements. I couldnt find any sticker that said it was or not.

So, is my 95 OBDII? If not, how do I get the codes?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, don't quote me on this, but in 1995 there was a lot of OBD 1 1/2. You may need a different computer to read the codes. What did the people at RicerZone say?

96ExplorerXL4x4 said:
well, don't quote me on this, but in 1995 there was a lot of OBD 1 1/2. You may need a different computer to read the codes. What did the people at RicerZone say?

Thye shrugged their shoulders, what else. When Im there I never ask for advice.. ;)

ANyway, it looks like im not compliant as other threads Ive searched have pointed out. Should have used the search function first, as usual.

Do they have OBDI readers?

yes there are OBD-I scanner and code readers, you can also get your codes for free by doing the self test proceedure, all you have to do is ground the signal wire, then you can read the codes from the check engine light.

410Fortune said:
yes there are OBD-I scanner and code readers, you can also get your codes for free by doing the self test proceedure, all you have to do is ground the signal wire, then you can read the codes from the check engine light.

That sounds great. I dont suppose you'd have a nice, neat and tidy link to instructions on how to do it, would you? Im in unfamiliar territory with this.

By the way, my 95 has the OBDII socket below the dash. Do I use that?

moving to EEC-IV section

Dash Riprock said:
That sounds great. I dont suppose you'd have a nice, neat and tidy link to instructions on how to do it, would you? Im in unfamiliar territory with this.
See my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" at the top of this forum.

By the way, my 95 has the OBDII socket below the dash. Do I use that?
No, that is just a dummy socket. The EEC-IV self-test connectors are under the hood. On your '95, I believe they are on the driver's side fender.

MrShorty said:

No, that is just a dummy socket. The EEC-IV self-test connectors are under the hood. On your '95, I believe they are on the driver's side fender.

Thanks. I look forward to putting all this new knowledge to test.

The OBD2 connector on 1995 eeciv Explorers is connected to the abs, gem and air bag modules. This is how you read those codes. The under hood connector is for the eeciv module.

Back