Is my clutch pedal normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I've searched, and searched to find something on this issue, and couldn't find anything...
I noticed when I bought my Sport in Dec, the clutch pedal had worn a hole completely through the floormat...They were the original ones, and needed replacing anyway due to normal wear... they were 14 years old... Anyway, I found some new oem ones made for the 2nd gens, that have the Explorer badging embroidered on them from ebay... I think they look great!...but after only 2 months, they also have some significant wear from the clutch pedal, and have almost worn a hole in them...:thumbdwn: My question is, is it normal to have to bury the pedal so far down into the carpet for the CPP switch to engage? Anyone ever had this issue? It's a new CPP and Clutch Master Cylinder...but it's been like this since I've owned it...and obviously before. Is there a fix, or do I just have to deal with it?

Thanks!
Scott.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like something is out of adjustment. I do not have a manual trans, so I am just guessing. But common sense tells me it is traveling too far. But the pedal should go nearly to the floor to activate the safety switch.

Sounds to me like something is out of adjustment. I do not have a manual trans, so I am just guessing. But common sense tells me it is traveling too far. But the pedal should go nearly to the floor to activate the safety switch.

There is no adjustment for the pedal...I wonder could I mod the switch with a spacer of some sort to help the switch engage a little sooner...Zip Tie around the pushrod maybe??? Anyone ever tried that?
It's really no big deal. Just the hole in the floormat issue.

Let me ask you this. Do you actually have to push the clutch pedal onto the floor to activate the safety switch? Have you tried turning the key to start, push the pedal down to where it starts? If it has to go all the way onto the floor, surely there is an adjustment to the switch you can make. Is it a hydraulic clutch? As I said before, I am not familiar with the clutch on Explorers. If it is hydraulic, can you adjust the pushrod? How far do you have to depress the clutch to disengage the trans? Most clutches should disengage with only about two inches of travel past the free play. How much free play in the pedal?

Let me ask you this. Do you actually have to push the clutch pedal onto the floor to activate the safety switch? Have you tried turning the key to start, push the pedal down to where it starts? If it has to go all the way onto the floor, surely there is an adjustment to the switch you can make. Is it a hydraulic clutch? As I said before, I am not familiar with the clutch on Explorers. If it is hydraulic, can you adjust the pushrod? How far do you have to depress the clutch to disengage the trans? Most clutches should disengage with only about two inches of travel past the free play. How much free play in the pedal?

Yeah, I usually do turn the key, and stand on the clutch pretty hard until it starts...I don't have any shifting problems.The clutch seems normal as far as how far it travels to disengage. It is a hydraulic clutch, with no way to adjust the pushrod...that I can tell. I'm gonna look at the switch a little closer. I'm kinda wondering if the clutch/brake pedal assembly maybe has bent a little...or maybe there might be a rubber spacer behind it that could have flatten out...just don't know...gonna take another look at it later.

I added a small zip tie on the pushrod under the CCP switch, and cut the excess off where it would seat in there good...MUCH BETTER!!! But the pedal still digs into the carpet a little much for my liking, but I guess that can't be avoided... I just don't have to push the clutch quite as hard as I did before to start it...no wondering in my head if it is going to start or not...it starts!... Someone has had to of thought of this before...such a simple fix...The throttle cable mod thread that I found on here helped me think of it.
I'm calling this one SOLVED!

Thanks for the input.
Scott.

Update:
I got to thinking...It could be better... so I added a second zip tie on top of the other one...knowingly, if it was too much, the cruise would not work... Well, the first time I tried it with the second zip tie, It started easier than it had ever started before, as far as the effort it took to depress the pedal, and crank over...So I checked the cruise using the cruise control self-test...No cruise, so I made sure that the fat part of the ties were opposite from one another, and pushed them down where they were more secure and tried again...It started supper easy again...the pedal barely touching the carpet. Tried the self-test again and...BINGO! The cruise is working...One bigger zip tie would have probably worked, but I didn't want to go too big, because I knew of the cruise issue... I got to say, I'm right proud of myself on this one...It's been bugging me since day one...and I may save some $$$ on floormats! Lol.

Back