Is my fuel pump bad 1999 ford explorer shoc 4.0. Lots of pictures on the replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my fuel pump bad 1999 ford explorer shoc 4.0. Lots of pictures on the replacement

It can be done solo but its way easier with 2 people
alright, yeah with 2 its definitely a quick job! also, just curious, what did you do with the side of the tank that rubs?mine always rubbed on one side,, so i got some rubber and attatched it to that point to keep it from scraping anymore. i forgot specifically where it rubbed, but in the 2 changes i did, it always rubbed, and it left a mark from rubbing all the time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember mine rubbing. Your straps and stuff all good?

I don't remember mine rubbing. Your straps and stuff all good?
yeah it was fine
last time i checked, its always been doing that since new

Mime has a rubber pad on top that's where it was rubbing a little

20180420_185854_kindlephoto-86885305.jpg

Go back to the plastic tanks, the 91-94 tanks. Those won't rust away from bad gasoline, plus the are much shorter with the same capacity. I still hope to figure out how to safely mount a 2nd gen fuel assembly into one.

Below, these are both 22 gallon stock 4dr tanks, from my old 93 Limited, and my 98 Mercury Mountaineer.

93-98 4dr tanks.JPG

Go back to the plastic tanks, the 91-94 tanks. Those won't rust away from bad gasoline, plus the are much shorter with the same capacity. I still hope to figure out how to safely mount a 2nd gen fuel assembly into one.

Below, these are both 22 gallon stock 4dr tanks, from my old 93 Limited, and my 98 Mercury Mountaineer.

View attachment 429635
im always afraid with any plastic ill make a hole in it froading, how strong are they? also with metal anything, makes you want to chant america

All of the Explorers had a skid plate on some models. I think all of mine had them, I know I have the 93 skid plate to match that plastic tank. I'm not sure if I can use the 98 front tank mounting bracket for the 93 tank(it mounts to the front of the skid plate). I think I can, I checked all of that out many years ago, when I took those pictures.

View attachment 429635
The front mounting bolts will not mount up. If you move it forward, then the strap will not fit and the stainless steel fuel line will not connect and wiring?.

The front mounting bolts will not mount up. If you move it forward, then the strap will not fit and the stainless steel fuel line will not connect and wiring?.

No, the entire tank mounts the same in all of the 91-01's, except for the front frame bracket and how it attaches. The later trucks, it mounts to the tank itself, which has holes that line up with the skid plate holes at the front. So you use the skid plate to contribute to holding the tank up. The one strap is the main part, the rest is very good extra security.

If the early tank is placed in the later truck, the frame bracket would have to be moved rearward to match the skid plate holes.

Back