Is my thinking correct... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my thinking correct...

Ok, so i'm looking at new wheels. Looks like with gas prices, and job situation, etc I will not be doing a 3" body lift and running 33"s. With that being said I want to get new rims for the newish tires I have now and continue running 265/75/16s and maybe down the road if I do lift more run 285s.

That puts me in the market for 16" aftermarket wheels. Stock is 16x7 with 4.5" bs(?).

Most aftermarket are 16x8 with 4.5" bs. Does that mean that the same amount of rim will be on the inside of the hub, but due to the extra inch of width they would stick out an additional inch? Meaning the 16x9 moto metal 4.5" bs would be 2 inches further out?

Would a 16x8 4.5" bs look wide enough or would it end up looks like stock? I like the look of a 15x8 with 3.75" bs, but for some reason 16"s are only 4.5" bs meaning they would not stick as far out correct?...

Thanks, I've read up on it before. I'm pretty sure I'm right... Just want to double check before spending a few hundred bucks, and too see if there is a reason why there are really no 16" rims with below a 4.5 bs.

Yeah, 4.5" bs on a 10" wide wheel puts the same amount of wheel inside the mounting surface as 4.5" bs on a 7" wide wheel. The extra width gets pushed outside the mounting surface making the wheel/tire stick out further. Took me a while to wrap my mind around that but makes sense after figuring it out.

Back