james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
ok, ive been hearing rumors for months now, so i did some searching. it seems, due to the same economic crunch felt by all US auto manufacturers, SVT is being considered to go up on the chopping block. before you say "it'll never happen", think about this... were is the Camaro/Firebird? no one actually thought the F-body would die either, and they arent a specialty group.

article

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would that be such a bad thing...they could keep the SVT name and just slap superchargers on everything SVT like now. At least the LS1/LS6 were all motor masterpieces, very receptive to mods, IMO. It will be back by 2008 I predict.

True. I said that the Camaro/Firebird will make another appearance at some point in the future, too. You KNOW it'll come back for some anniversary edition or something. Hey, they could wait ten years and call it "retro".

the f body died because sells #'s sucked

I also hate the fact that ford will put a supercharger in the gt40-..

I think they will be back just as the Vettes were in the early 80s, the year that they came back was one of the best selling years, i think it is all marketing.

i dunno... i do believe if something were to happen, it would not be permanent. but, industry as a whole is really hurting right now. everyone in the auto industry is trimming back the fat and going with both "lean production" and "lean management".

BTW- SVT= Special Vehicles Team. if SVT died, there would be no Lighting, Cobra, etc.

I suppose i should just continue building my own SVT. Hehe. What i want to know is why didnt SVT pick up the Explorer like Saleen did? Man they could have made one badass SUV. Oh well i guess i got to go about this alone, err well i guess with some help from a few of you.

Originally posted by rocket 5979
I suppose i should just continue building my own SVT. Hehe. What i want to know is why didnt SVT pick up the Explorer like Saleen did?
They toyed with that idea, but said they didn't think there would be enough sales to justify the cost involved. Same thing for the Expedition Lightning that they toyed with also but decided the cost wasn't worth it, plus they were developing the SVT Focus at the time.

There was a kid at my college last year who built an Expedition Lightning using everything from the Lightning. From the engine to the wheels ect., and it was black. Now that was one very fast SUV:eek: , he ran very low 13's to high 12's with only a few bolt ons. Unfortunatley, some dumbass at my school keyed "Poseur" on his hood b/c it wasn't a real lightning, how f'd up was that, never found out who did it either:mad: .

I don't think SVT will be dying off however. They are very profitable and sell every single vehicle they make. I think it was a very smart idea to offer the supercharger, a lot of people don't know how awsome the new forged dohc responds to mods, and it's all under warrenty. SVT did what pretty much every drag racer does, add a supercharger, most people would have done that anyway, now they have all this with a warrenty. My buddies 03' Cobra is putting out almost 500rwhp with only bolt ons and he hasn't done everything yet. He's ordering a KenneBell twin-screw that will push him over 650rwhp, and even with all the mods and new charger, the dealership (at least the ones here) are still honoring the warrenty.

The IRS on the Cobra is not a draw back at all, the 03's suffer from very little wheel hop if any. My buddy has at least 50 launches with his mods scince he got the car and not a single thing has gone wrong nor has it needed any warrenty work done. Didn't really have to do with this thread I just threw it in lol.

Nitrous Pete on the Stang forums is dipping into the 9's at 140mph on his 03' Cobra. He has the stock engine with a KenneBell twin-screw a few other mods and only a 50-shot of nitrous and is putting down almost 800rwhp. He's dipping into the high 9's on the stock IRS that has held up to a sh!tload of launches and is his daily driver. I just don't know any car thats capable of this and can still maintain all the comforts that come with it stock.

I think it was a very smart move on SVT's part regarding the charger, theres not another production engine made that can respond to mods like the 03' block does and still maintain full reliabiltiy and drivability of stock even when seriously modded.

Sorry for the long rambling:confused: , I just love SVT's vehicles and what they are capable of (don't really care for the Focus but.....). I'm still thinking if I should find an 03' Cobra over a new truck, because I can't think of another car that can put down that type of power reliably and maintain full comfort on the street. Dead Link Removed03' CobrasDead Link Removed

Plus the supercharger on the GT40, let the drooling begin, imagine what that car is going to be capable of, thats going to be one sick car, ....if they decide to produce with all the financial problems going on.

Ford needs to redo it's business plan lol, along with pretty much every other car company save for Porsche and BMW who are the most profitable in the car business, although they are basically private companies, the Piech/Porsche family owns Porsche still and Ferdinand Piech is the head of VW. I always find it funny how companies like Ford or others can't crank out enough vehicles to meet demand yet still lose money, boggles me:confused:

The Expy needs a supercharger to get it moving. I like the vehicle, but it does not havbe enough "go"
compared to other full-size SUVs. I've heard the 5.4 is a torquey motor, it just does not prove pleasing numbers in the Expy.

Actually the 5.0 Explorers can move pretty durn fast. Yeah a S/C would help it alot but i think that the 5.0 and the new to explorers 4.6 were the way to go for the people out there requiring more power. Besides you can make an old 5.0 mustang fast as f*ck with just some simple mods without even adding a supercharger. And the only difference is that we weigh alot more, which does add a big disadvantage but oh well the harder it is to overcome weight through adding power the easier it is to fool people into thinking i am a slow soccer mom mobile. :D Even when they hear a funny loud whine coming from my hood. But even then i can be like "uuuuuh i think it is the power steering!" lol. And i think i can get away with it, being that most modern people dont know squat about cars. :D. By the way i painted all of my grey trim on my car, i.e. bumpers front and back side skirt trim, and even the grill. Man does it look alot better. I will post pictures tomorrow once i get it detailed and clean again. I also got a new 15" Pioneer sub and a Pioneer amp in the other day too. Well see you all later. Robert

oh sorry i think i misread. Were you talking about the Expedition? Oops, my bad. lol. Oh well i will still leave my last post alone. :D

Originally posted by james t
ok, ive been hearing rumors for months now, so i did some searching. it seems, due to the same economic crunch felt by all US auto manufacturers, SVT is being considered to go up on the chopping block. before you say "it'll never happen", think about this... were is the Camaro/Firebird? no one actually thought the F-body would die either, and they arent a specialty group.

article

Thank God the 'stang is still around! I remember when (about 10 yrs ago) there were rumors ford was dropping it, or going to turn it into the next "probe"!!

They were going to drop the Mustang when the Probe came out, but enormous outcry stopped them from doing it. Now the Mustang's place in the automotive world is probably safe.

I personally doubt Ford will axe SVT. In all reality, I doubt it costs them much money to run, in fact it probably pays for itself. If they were to drop it and in turn lose the corresponding sales, then it wouldn't help them.

Originally posted by Stephen
They were going to drop the Mustang when the Probe came out, but enormous outcry stopped them from doing it. Now the Mustang's place in the automotive world is probably safe.

I personally doubt Ford will axe SVT. In all reality, I doubt it costs them much money to run, in fact it probably pays for itself. If they were to drop it and in turn lose the corresponding sales, then it wouldn't help them.

Yea your right, the "probe" was going to be the next mustang! Im glad they came to their senses. First ponycar, last ponycar!

Well, the Probe wasn't going to be named Mustang, it was going to replace the Mustang name and all, it would have still been the Probe.

To me, I never saw the allure of driving something called "The Probe"...

**** probe? hu?

I seriously doubt SVT is goin anywhere. There sales are strong as ever with more models than before. Theyve spent too much money building up SVT to let it go away.

The Fbodies are gone because Mustang outsold ALL Fbodies 2-1.

Also I seriously doubt the new svt models are that far behind. As a policy SVT generally does not release a vehicle the first year of major changes to a platform.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Stephen
One thing Ford could do is release SVT to become its own entity.

If that would work how I'm thinkin it would, SVT couldnt afford to be in business. If you look at Roush and Saleen, they are conisdered by the government a manufcaturer and have to do all their emissions and crash testing over. Not somethin real cheap to do.

From all I've read elsewhere, basically that whole article is largely a bunch of guesses. SVT isnt going anywhere.

Back