is SVT dying? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is SVT dying?

i truly hope you all are right. at this point, im not saying SVT is dead... but here is an explanation as to why i finally posted this.

i have a friend at work who is an automotive enthusiast. this friend is rather high up in the development area of the tire industry. he has many other friends in the automotive industry who also are at a position of "knowledge", in various aspects of the auto world, both production and aftermarket. he told me back in 98 the exact last year the F body would be produced. he also predicted the rash of Firestone lawsuits over a year before they even began. when he speaks, i listen. i have been hearing the SVT rumor for quite some time, but never gave it any merit until this friend basically confirmed it. his exact words were-

"There is a good chance SVT will not be here in 05 or 06."

im not a conspiracy theorist, and im not trying to scare anyone. this guy could be wrong. however, knowing the tons of info he has access to and some of the people in his circle, he has never been totally wrong before. this time, i hope he is. just something to think about. i do know that all areas of American auto production are seriously hurting right now. everyone is cutting back the fat, and no matter how cool a subgroup is... if its not making a certain profit margin, its not worth it. if SVT made enough $$$ just to break even, and keep itself afloat, thats still not good enough.

just something to think about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seriously doubt SVT is goin anywhere. There sales are strong as ever with more models than before.
NO automakers sales are strong as ever. New car sales have been drastically down since 9/11 and the economic crunch this country has faced. All manufacturers are looking ways to "trim the fat". Haulting SVT may be one of Ford's ways of doing this.

Robb

Can someone enlighten me

What the heck is SVT??? I remember SVO (special Vehical Operations), is it basically the same thing or what? Please excuse me for my ignorance.

same thing
SVT= Special Vehicles Team. Mustang Cobra, Lightning, Focus GT or whatever it is... these are all SVT designs.

Thanks, i figured it was probably the same thing, just didnt know what the T stood for.

Yes, overall car sales are down, but the SVTs are not havin any trouble gettin sold, other than outrageous dealer mark ups. SVTs are made in a pretty limited run compared to the total production (5000 Lightnings is less than 5% of all F150s). By the time 04 models should hit lots there wont be but a rare SVT here and there across the nation, as usual. (I say should hit the lots since there likely will not be a cobra or Lightning in the first year of the major changes to each model)

Back