is synthetic okay at 5,000 mile oil change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is synthetic okay at 5,000 mile oil change?

2005xltsport

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa/Illinois Mississippi River Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Sport
Just as the title reads. Would it be okay to switch to synthetic at my first oil change, 5,000 miles. I've heard that you should wait and continue using conventional until all the seals are properly seated. Just wanted to get your opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first 5k will drain out all of the new engine junk, and should be fine to switch over. I think I switched my first car over at 10k, and my latest one at 9k, but that's only 'cause I had a free oil change, and it wasn't a good month to add expensive synthetic to the budget.

aldive said:
What synthetic oil and filter are you going to use?

Well, I've got a coupon for a $16.99 oil change using 5qt of Kendall? synthetic oil. It doesn't state which brand of filter. A free tire rotation is included in the $16.99.

2005xltsport said:
Well, I've got a coupon for a $16.99 oil change using 5qt of Kendall? synthetic oil. It doesn't state which brand of filter. A free tire rotation is included in the $16.99.

That price leads me to think that you will be getting synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

aldive said:
That price leads me to think that you will be getting synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

Ya, you're right it's a blend. So, do you think its worth it? I'll probably just end up using my free oil change from the dealership, even though it'll just be conventional and without the tire rotation.

Due to the lack of standardization of "blend" oils, I wouldn't bother using any of them I recommend full synthetic only.

Good luck ......

I agree with Aldive. If you're going to use synthetic, use the real thing or don't bother. The whole "synthetic blend" concept is just marketing hype, IMHO.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I tell you one thing, if I were you I'd start with full synthetic now and replace all your fluids with synthetic. Costly up front but your Ex will last forever if you do.

I would maybe wait until 10,000 miles just to let the engine break in properly. Not so much seals but the actual engine itself. Go full synthetic, not a blend just like the others suggested.

I put synthetic in mine a couple of times and then I got to thinking. I can expect to get 200,000 miles or more on an engine with conventional oil and there's no way I'm keeping this vehicle that long. Maybe 150,000 at the most, so I went back to using regular oil. I don't care if it's still running 20 years from now because I won't have it then.

grumpy said:
I put synthetic in mine a couple of times and then I got to thinking. I can expect to get 200,000 miles or more on an engine with conventional oil and there's no way I'm keeping this vehicle that long. Maybe 150,000 at the most, so I went back to using regular oil. I don't care if it's still running 20 years from now because I won't have it then.

Ill tell you what, Ill buy you synthetic fluids and you can give me the money you get from selling a great running explorer at 150k miles.

Back