is the 1991 explorer able convert a4ld to m50d | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is the 1991 explorer able convert a4ld to m50d

burningbilly

Reaction score
City, State
new brunswick canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 eddie bauer
hey everyone,
i have managed to get my 1994 explorer running great and all road worthy so i managed to sell it for 2000. no bad i was into for 1100 in total so i made 900. but i have a extra transmission(m50d r1). I have sense bought a 1991 2 door explore that was just rebuilt . it has a a4ld in it that was rebuilt 8500 km's ago but i don't want that transmission as it is just to horrible, i have read so many stories on them and not alot of good thinks to be said so screw it i don't want to chance the transmission going in the winter or something.
Anyways i was checking the transmission chart and it doesn't say i ca run my m50d in this explorer . that is not true is it? The transmission , wiring harness, steering column, computer are all out of a 1993 but since i have everything it should work right? any advice would be good.
thanks for looking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll drop right in. The M5ODR1s came standard on the '91s. They came standard on 4 door Explorers until '00 and on Sports until '03.

As noted, the transmission should fit right in. The biggest issue I see with your proposed setup is in going to a '93 PCM. Even though the engine blocks are the same, there are certainly minor differences, and possibly a couple of big differences between the '93 and '91 engine management systems. Still doable, but you'll want to identify which '93 PCM you have and determine if you also need to add an EGR system, 2nd O2 sensor, and anything else to keep the '93 PCM happy.

As far as keeping the '93 PCM happy I think all you need is a dummy sensor to make it think it's still running an automatic.

well that is what i am hoping to avoid, i have the pcm out of the 93 and the wiring harness's all of them to switch it over.

The harnesses are different between the '93s and '91s it won't just plug up to it, it would take a lot of work. It would be much easier to make your computer work with the manual. You could drop it right in and it'll work and run fine it'll just throw codes. All you're going to be doing is fooling the computer so it doesn't throw codes.

Just find a 91 manual computer... Not worth fussing with the other computers.

ok that makes sense

but how do i trick the computer? i know i have to jump some wires for the neutral safety but i dont know which 1's

The best way to do the PCM is to find one from a '91 Explorer with a manual transmission.

With the auto computer you'll probably have some idle problems. The manual computers have a bit more aggressive timing curve and the it shuts the injectors off when compression braking, saving a bit of fuel.

I don't believe a '91 computer will work with a '93. They made changed to the engine and it plugs up differently I believe....where's that thread?

Back