Is the A/C Evaporator Core hard to replace? ('99 Explorer V6 SOHC) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the A/C Evaporator Core hard to replace? ('99 Explorer V6 SOHC)

logic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hi all. As the title says. I recharge my A/C in a shop and we found out that the Evaporator Core is leaking. They want to charge me almost $600 and the parts alone are about $300...A buddy of mine works in a shop and he can get the parts for cheap (or I can just buy them online) and do it for me for a fraction of the cost. He's afraid to take it out at home because he says he might not have all the tools needed. I know that the Rec Dryer needs to be replaced too. I guess my question is has anyone done it at home and if so is it hard to do? I watched a youtube video and a guy did it in about 20 minutes. Also what wrenches and stuff will he need? I might just buy them for him if he doesn't have them.

Evap core is pretty darn easy to replace, only special tool needed is for the quick disconnect hoses.

3 nuts hold the air box to the firewall in the engine bay, a 4th at the very bottom from inside the passenger's foot well.

I'd start by loosening the washer/overflow reservoir and then the fan motor.

Only exotic needs are the automotive a/c gauge set and vacuum pump

Evap core is pretty darn easy to replace, only special tool needed is for the quick disconnect hoses.

3 nuts hold the air box to the firewall in the engine bay, a 4th at the very bottom from inside the passenger's foot well.

I'd start by loosening the washer/overflow reservoir and then the fan motor.

Only exotic needs are the automotive a/c gauge set and vacuum pump

Thanks for the reply. and those are needed for a flush?

Back