Is the Hands Free Liftgate Module an item I can install myself? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the Hands Free Liftgate Module an item I can install myself?

MegaCleanCab

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lecanto, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I searched a bit and could not find anything. Hope this is the right place. Also, where is the best place to buy for parts. I want to order this and the 2nd row console.

Thanks

2016 Sport
Platinum White
401a
Dual Panel Roof
LED Fog
Adaptive Cruise
Nav

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched a bit and could not find anything. Hope this is the right place. Also, where is the best place to buy for parts. I want to order this and the 2nd row console.

Thanks

2016 Sport
Platinum White
401a
Dual Panel Roof
LED Fog
Adaptive Cruise
Nav
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't believe that adding the hands free module has been discussed before. I don't know if it is possible since it also requires 2 sensors to operate plus a possible interior switch. You would also require a motor and extra strut to open the liftgate.
There are several vendors that may have the parts but I usually recommend Levittown Ford Super Center.
You can contact Benny using this link if you so desire; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=LevittownFordSuperCenter

I have the power liftgate and the proximity key. Its a $50 option as listed on the Ford Accessory site.

I have the power liftgate and the proximity key. Its a $50 option as listed on the Ford Accessory site.
That makes it easier then IF it can be done. After reading some previous post about the 'Hands Free' liftgate I was of the impression that if you had a power 'gate' it would be the hands free one. In other words, you couldn't get one without the other.

Peter

It came standard on my 2016 Sport.

Your Sport should already have that option.

I just 'built' a 2016 Sport and no where did I see just a regular power liftgate. The Hands Free Liftgate is standard with the 401A package and an option with the 400A package. That also coincides with the 2016 Order Guide.

Peter

It is built in. Last night I watched a youtube video and found you have to kick, I was doing a sweeping motion sideways. I was doing it wrong. Thanks for the help.

Back