Is the Lincoln Aviator Reliable and Worth It? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the Lincoln Aviator Reliable and Worth It?

RDynamic

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Hello everyone, I am currently looking to purchase a new Lincoln Aviator (Canada) in the price range of around 75-85k. But I am wondering how well the car does in terms of quality, and reliability. I was planning to get an Explorer Platinum, but I decided to get an Aviator instead. I am currently looking at a Reserve model (202a package). I am on the verge of purchasing it, I just want more info on the Aviator in terms of how well it will treat me. I drive an average of 20-30k a year. So..... Should I get it? Or should I wait until next year?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Theyre nice, luxury explorers pretty much. Go for it if you like it, but test drive everything before you buy.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have the 201A package with the Illumination and Class IV tow package options. Window Sticker MRSP was $79,200. It is a Ceramic Pearl colour and has the 20" wheels. Didn't want the 22" ones since I use Winter tires on them and like to have a little extra sidewall. My dealer brought it in from another Ottawa dealer so I didn't really have much input into the build but am very pleased with it so far. I picked it up on Halloween and have only about 2300 km on it as I don't drive that much and even less now due to the current COVID-19 situation. I'm running Petro-Canada 91 octane in it although the Manual says 87 is the "recommended" gasoline. My mileage over the last 10 fill-ups averages 13.4L/100 km according to Fuelly.com, the site I use to track all my fill-ups. That should improve with the warmer weather. My driving is probably about 50/50 hwy/city.
As suggested above, take one for a drive and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. One of the surprises I found on the test drive was that the front headrests are power adjustable so set them up before driving if they are not to your liking. The "Excite" drive mode is something else as well. I only tried it once and was very impressed when I gave it the gas. I am still getting used to the 'piano' type transmission shifter. I'm very sure you will like it. Get the all-weather mats if they aren't included.
Here is the link to mine pictures; 6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread

Peter

Where we purchased our Explorer ST the dealer also sold Lincolns. They had a number of Aviators in different trims and I was very impressed with the vehicle. I thought it was beautiful and the quality of the interior design and materials was very impressive. It was too nice for us as we take our dogs with us and do some car camping with our vehicle. The ST is a better vehicle for us, but if I was looking for a luxury SUV, the Lincoln would have done well against its German competition. As far as reliability, I would expect it to be the same as the Ford.

Thanks for the replies everyone! This truly makes me more comfortable in buying an Aviator, I do a lot of cross-country trips that are super long, and I can imagine this Aviator taking me on a 7000KM road trip with ease. I still have to wait for the term to end on my 2015 Ford Edge, and then after that.. All out on the Aviator I’ll probably get the 2021 model because that’s when my term ends. 😂 (A 2015 Ford Edge SEL to an Aviator seems like a big jump to be honest. Haha)

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have the 201A package with the Illumination and Class IV tow package options. Window Sticker MRSP was $79,200. It is a Ceramic Pearl colour and has the 20" wheels. Didn't want the 22" ones since I use Winter tires on them and like to have a little extra sidewall. My dealer brought it in from another Ottawa dealer so I didn't really have much input into the build but am very pleased with it so far. I picked it up on Halloween and have only about 2300 km on it as I don't drive that much and even less now due to the current COVID-19 situation. I'm running Petro-Canada 91 octane in it although the Manual says 87 is the "recommended" gasoline. My mileage over the last 10 fill-ups averages 13.4L/100 km according to Fuelly.com, the site I use to track all my fill-ups. That should improve with the warmer weather. My driving is probably about 50/50 hwy/city.
As suggested above, take one for a drive and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. One of the surprises I found on the test drive was that the front headrests are power adjustable so set them up before driving if they are not to your liking. The "Excite" drive mode is something else as well. I only tried it once and was very impressed when I gave it the gas. I am still getting used to the 'piano' type transmission shifter. I'm very sure you will like it. Get the all-weather mats if they aren't included.
Here is the link to mine pictures; 6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread

Peter
I absolutely love the piano keys, it’s one of the features that made me spend 10-20k more on Lincoln. As far as suspension goes, how is the Aviator without the air suspension? I’ve heard nothing but praise for the air suspension but no one mentioned the ride in the Aviator with the standard suspension, I’m opting for the 22 inch rims. So it’ll probably be more affected than yours. I just built and priced one that I liked, 201A package with Illumination package, Towing, and convenience package. I might also get running boards because I’m not getting the dynamic handling package so it won’t lower. Does the illumination pack light up the emblem? I would love that.!

Theyre nice, luxury explorers pretty much. Go for it if you like it, but test drive everything before you buy.

Completely disagree, there are only 2 parts inside that are shared (1 trim piece and the hood release). Everything else is designed and custom to the Aviator. Exterior as well as suspension is completely different as well.

Yes the motor and trans is shared but that means nothing. These are no longer rebadged Fords like in the older days.

Completely disagree, there are only 2 parts inside that are shared (1 trim piece and the hood release). Everything else is designed and custom to the Aviator. Exterior as well as suspension is completely different as well.

Yes the motor and trans is shared but that means nothing. These are no longer rebadged Fords like in the older days.
That's good to know, I think the light switch controls are also somewhat similar to the Explorer.

I absolutely love the piano keys, it’s one of the features that made me spend 10-20k more on Lincoln. As far as suspension goes, how is the Aviator without the air suspension? I’ve heard nothing but praise for the air suspension but no one mentioned the ride in the Aviator with the standard suspension, I’m opting for the 22 inch rims. So it’ll probably be more affected than yours. I just built and priced one that I liked, 201A package with Illumination package, Towing, and convenience package. I might also get running boards because I’m not getting the dynamic handling package so it won’t lower. Does the illumination pack light up the emblem? I would love that.!
I am very comfortable with the ride which is the standard suspension. One thing Ford did with the 2020 Explorer was to length the wheelbase which was also applied to the Aviator. I can't recall for sure but I think it was extended by about 6 inches. Yes, the front Lincoln emblem does light up. The only way to see if it is what you want is to take one for a test drive and see if the running boards are really necessary.
As far as reliability goes, it seems the Explorer is encountering more issues than the Aviator. Although the number of owners of Aviators is quite small compared to those that own the Explorer, I can't recall off-hand of any issues posted for the Aviator. Not saying that there aren't any.

Peter

Thanks for the replies everyone! This truly makes me more comfortable in buying an Aviator, I do a lot of cross-country trips that are super long, and I can imagine this Aviator taking me on a 7000KM road trip with ease. I still have to wait for the term to end on my 2015 Ford Edge, and then after that.. All out on the Aviator I’ll probably get the 2021 model because that’s when my term ends. 😂 (A 2015 Ford Edge SEL to an Aviator seems like a big jump to be honest. Haha)

you can trade up early, you don’t have to wait for your term to end.. ask your dealer.. I am sure they will will be happy to Upgrade you...

your term is a maximum you can keep the car, not a minimum time required

you can trade up early, you don’t have to wait for your term to end.. ask your dealer.. I am sure they will will be happy to Upgrade you...

Thanks for the info. I am planning to buy the car at Capital Ford/Lincoln, I bought my Edge from a different Ford dealership closer to my house, this Lincoln dealership is the closest to me. But I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info. I am planning to buy the car at Capital Ford/Lincoln, I bought my Edge from a different Ford dealership closer to my house, this Lincoln dealership is the closest to me. But I will keep that in mind.

any good dealer will do everything they can to make sure that buyers can buy a new car whenever they want...and buy back values often match up properly so you can start fresh with a new purchase

I've done that with my last 3 leases. The dealer likes to get them back after 3 years of a 4 year lease because of the exceptionally low mileage on them.
My 2017 Platinum had 11,976 km (7,442 miles) on it after 3 years. ;)

Peter

I end my leases early as well usually and have often been able to get a cheque for 2 or 3 thousand back from the dealer due to the low mileage. Can’t hurt to ask. Good luck with your purchase.

I've done that with my last 3 leases. The dealer likes to get them back after 3 years of a 4 year lease because of the exceptionally low mileage on them.
My 2017 Platinum had 11,976 km (7,442 miles) on it after 3 years. ;)

Peter

Peter, you need to get out more..;)

Peter, you need to get out more..;)
That sounds familiar. Kind of difficult to do right now although more and more restrictions are being lifted.

Peter

Wow! Almost 12,000 kilometres is what I drive in a few months. And that’s so cool that the Aviator made it onto the top 10. Makes me even more confident, I already know what spec I’m getting for the Aviator. Just debating on the Dynamic Package. The wife wants it. Without this forum, I probably wouldn’t have continued with the Aviator. I’m glad I went on here and asked.

Wow! Almost 12,000 kilometres is what I drive in a few months. And that’s so cool that the Aviator made it onto the top 10. Makes me even more confident, I already know what spec I’m getting for the Aviator. Just debating on the Dynamic Package. The wife wants it. Without this forum, I probably wouldn’t have continued with the Aviator. I’m glad I went on here and asked.
Just posted a new thread about 3 colours that they are dropping. That will narrow your choices a little. ;)
Crystal Copper Metallic Tinted Clearcoat, Blue Diamond Metallic, and Magnetic Gray Metallic.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are concerned about the ride quality, the bigger the wheels the rougher the ride as the tire sidewalls are shorter with bigger wheels and consequently; rougher riding. My Aviator has the 20 inch rims and I'm very pleased with the way it rides and handles vs. my 2018 Explorer Platnum. The final thought; go price a set of 22 inch tires vs. 20 inch, you'll need a second mortgage on your house to pay for them.....

Back