Is the M5OD-R1HD a direct swap for the M5OD-R1? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the M5OD-R1HD a direct swap for the M5OD-R1?

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a '91 EB 4x4 5speed and mt transmission is starting to go.
I am looking for rebuilt transmissions and I am finding that I can get the M5OD-R1HD (From 2001+ Ranger) for about half of what I would pay for a direct replacement for the M50D-R1 that came stock in my '91 EB.
Is the M5OD-R1HD a direct swap for the M5OD-R1?
I have seen it posted on this forum that the gear ratios are the same, and they seem to look alike, but are there any differences that would make a swap difficult?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this thread:

It can be swapped, will need the shifter too.

That is a very helpful article. I was thinking the same as Josh P: Make sure to get the shifter with the new (HD) trans so as to avoid the problems with the shifter nub being keyed differently.
But this leaves me with a few questions:
1] The author mentions that the HD extension housing does not have the bosses for the manual transfer case linkage. I assume that this is not a problem for me as 1st gen explorers dont use manual transfer case linkage. Transfer case linkage is electronic. Right?

2] Can problem [1] be solved by swapping extension housings?

3] The author mentions that the new (HD) transmission does not have a hole for the Neutral safety switch. What did he do about it?

Does anyone know?

Here’s another link, basically saying all the same things, but with notes at the end showing a fabbed plate for the manual tcase linkage, if anyone needs it. How to replace a M5OD-R1 with a M5OD-R1HD

Back