Is the throwout bearing part of the slave? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the throwout bearing part of the slave?

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
I'm still kinda foggy on how changing the slave cylinder works. Is the throwout bearing part of the slave cylinder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not a 100% on manual trannys but i would say no the throw out bearing normally comes with a clutch and on my other cars(imports) its the bearing that rides the shaft where the clutch arm is that moves the clutch back and forth.

I'm still not sure on that one. I'm gonna have to dig into my manuals. It's hard to find stuff in the Ford manuals I have but they are pretty good once you find what you need.

Technically they are separate (its called a "release bearing") - as in you can buy one and replace it w/o having to replace the other. But while you have the transmission separated, you might as well replace both.

im pretty sure the slave has nothing to do with the throw out.the slave should be mounted on the side of the trans with a hydraulic line going to it when you press the clutch it should move a arm sticking out the tranny back and forth.that arm goes inside the trans and a throw out bearing is at the end of that arm.the trow out bearing move the clutch plates back and forth from the flywheel.he is a page with some pic of a slave cylinder dont know what vehicle its on but it shows you all parts
http://www.freeengineinfo.com/clutch-slave-cylinder.htm
here is a basic pic of a clutch sys,the throw out is also called a release bearing
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/.../tech.center/fact.meets.friction/Clutch31.jpg

Technically they are separate (its called a "release bearing") - as in you can buy one and replace it w/o having to replace the other. But while you have the transmission separated, you might as well replace both.

hey izwack where are the slave located on our trucks?

The slave cylinder isnt the traditional type that sits outside, its inline and inside the transmission's bellhousing. Because of this, there is no clutch "fork" that operates the release bearing, its directly actuated by the slave.

Looks like this:
getimage.php

I guess to answer the question "is the release bearing part of the slave?" - yes they are part of each other inside the bellhousing. But they can be replaced separately.

The release bearing sits on the end of the slave cylinder and the slave cylinder rides on the transmission's input shaft. To disengage the clutch, the slave cylinder pushes on the release bearing which then pushes on the "prongs" of the clutch pressure plate.

I guess to answer the question "is the release bearing part of the slave?" - yes they are part of each other inside the bellhousing. But they can be replaced separately.

The release bearing sits on the end of the slave cylinder and the slave cylinder rides on the transmission's input shaft. To disengage the clutch, the slave cylinder pushes on the release bearing which then pushes on the "prongs" of the clutch pressure plate.

ooo had a feeling it might be different thats why i asked you,didnt want to be given out bad info!!man thats crazy looking way different than im use to!!haha:thumbsup::thumbsup:
o ps sorry nitro didnt mean to lead you wrong.like i said i wasnt a 100%:dunno:

LOL! You didn't lead me wrong. I do that just fine on my own! Now I have to wonder if the slave cylinders I've been pricing all have the release bearing. Seeing about a $25 difference in them. And the parts guys aren't super skookum on em either..

Back