Is The "Where Am I" Nav. Feature Totally Gone from MFT after Update ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is The "Where Am I" Nav. Feature Totally Gone from MFT after Update ?

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've had the MFT update for a while now, I don't use the Nav system too much but I will be going on a long trip to the U.S. soon and it will be in use quite a bit.

From what I can tell the "Where Am I " feature seems to be gone after the latest MFT update. I kind of liked that feature as it would pinpoint your location, if you were ever in an emergency you could give that info. to emergency responders and it might just save your life. I know the NAV system now tells you where you are in general terms all the time - mostly in terms of street names- but it doesn't really pinpoint your location like it used to under the "Where am I" feature. Has anyone found the feature after the latest MFT update or is it totally gone ?. Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the MFT update for a while now, I don't use the Nav system too much but I will be going on a long trip to the U.S. soon and it will be in use quite a bit.

From what I can tell the "Where Am I " feature seems to be gone after the latest MFT update. I kind of liked that feature as it would pinpoint your location, if you were ever in an emergency you could give that info. to emergency responders and it might just save your life. I know the NAV system now tells you where you are in general terms all the time - mostly in terms of street names- but it doesn't really pinpoint your location like it used to under the "Where am I" feature. Has anyone found the feature after the latest MFT update or is it totally gone ?. Thanks for reading.
I never noticed but just had a look and it seems to gone. I never used it.
Does the GPS not give you your location? I thought at one time when I was playing around with the Nav that I came up with my Lat and Long coordinates. I think it happened when I pressed the red arrow showing my location. Can't confirm right now because the Ex is in the garage and I don't have a GPS signal. Perhaps that is what 911 assist uses.

Peter

I never noticed but just had a look and it seems to gone. I never used it.
Does the GPS not give you your location? I thought at one time when I was playing around with the Nav that I came up with my Lat and Long coordinates. I think it happened when I pressed the red arrow showing my location. Can't confirm right now because the Ex is in the garage and I don't have a GPS signal. Perhaps that is what 911 assist uses.

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter, yes I think you can get some latitude and longitude info if you scroll through the system, not quite as quickly as previously hitting the single button but that info might still be there. I kind of like the single button access as it was very easy to get, and it gave you some detailed street information/address info along with longitude and latitude. Just something nice to have quickly should you find yourself in a bad situation and you need assistance quickly.

Settings, then help, then first choice.

Thanks for the info, I will check that out tomorrow. Knowing the procedure should make it easier to find when and if needed. THanks again.:thumbsup:

Not near the car right now, but is/was this a spoken command, or just an on screen thing?

Thanks for the info, I will check that out tomorrow. Knowing the procedure should make it easier to find when and if needed. THanks again.:thumbsup:

20120709_095013.jpg

Thank you harlenm. I didn' know that. Another piece of info to file away in the ol' brain. Sure beats stepping out of your vehicle and yelling 'Where the Hell am I?"
As I get older yet, it may become a very useful button. Providing I can remember where it is. ;)

Peter

Not near the car right now, but is/was this a spoken command, or just an on screen thing?

That is a good question, it would be a good way to use the feature.

Harlen, thanks for the picture and continued info on this, I am very happy to learn that it is still available and didn't disappear with the MFT update like some features did. I honestly believe this is a great safety feature if you are stuck on the road in a precarious situation. Glad to have it. :thumbsup:

That is a good question, it would be a good way to use the feature.

Harlen, thanks for the picture and continued info on this, I am very happy to learn that it is still available and didn't disappear with the MFT update like some features did. I honestly believe this is a great safety feature if you are stuck on the road in a precarious situation. Glad to have it. :thumbsup:
I tried using voice. I hit the button and when instructed to "please say a command", I asked, "Where am I?" The reply was "current road name not available".
I was in the garage when I tried this. That is where the Ex usually is. ;)
The street name did however show on the home screen in the Nav section.
Perhaps it just keeps the last known position in memory?
So it does recognize the question. Will have to try it again the next time I'm out and about.

Peter

^^^ When out driving in town today and asking, "Where am I?" in response to the Ex's 'Say a command' resulted in a response with the current road name and the upcoming crossroad name.

Peter

^^^ When out driving in town today and asking, "Where am I?" in response to the Ex's 'Say a command' resulted in a response with the current road name and the upcoming crossroad name.

Peter

That's great to know too, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Back