Is there a cabin air filter? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Is there a cabin air filter?

jweb1369

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I have been reading different topics and have sort of come to the conclusion that the explorers don't have cabin air filters. I was just wanting to make sure. I have a 99 sport 4.0L SOHC.

If not, is there a way to install one? I can't stand breathing in fumes from other peoples exhausts. I have to cut the A/C off when I'm behind old clunkers, because it stinks so bad.

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
There's not. I'm sure you could add one somehow.. just gotta look around and learn the system. I'd go from the blower motor maybe and go from there? This would be worth while definitely. I agree about how crappy it is to smell whatever is outside.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
Explorers don't have one. Anyway, the cabin air filter is just a dust/polen filter - I have one on my Sable.
It won't filter the exhaust gases, you would need a carbon filter like NASA used in the Shuttle for that.

yavapaires

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Do what I do, turn to recycle air until you get away from the smelly area.