Is there a "donut" gasket between the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe on V8 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a "donut" gasket between the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe on V8 ?

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
My Exp suffers from the ticking exhaust manifolds, but I think I also have a leak between the manifolds and the Y pipe. I checked the diagrams and I do not see the donuts in between. Is that so ?
Also, can anybody find out the part numbers for the studs and nuts that connect those parts ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here are p/n's for the hardware if you have an exhaust leak, you should have a check engine light code, or at least a pending one.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 994

Thanks Mighty

Sh..t, so if I want to replace the 4 studs and nuts, it will cost me $ 280, nice. That's ridiculous.

yeah you are better off looking on ebay. I would recommend aircraft grade hardware. They are very corrosion resistant, fine thread, and much, much stronger than the nuts and bolts you get at autozone.

Mighty, can you show the details of the HN2 nut ?
The diagram shows HN1 nut which is somewhere else.

But, it's probably the same nut 10mm x 1.50... so do not waste your time.

Thanks, that does not show any donut in between. Few months ago I replaced the one between the end of the Y pipe and the rest of the exhaust, was not sure if there are 2 at the top of the Y.

Mighty, can you show the details of the HN2 nut ?
The diagram shows HN1 nut which is somewhere else.

Do you mean show the details of the HN1? The HN2 is expanded on that pic.

This is for the 06. The first diagram was for an 08.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 897

Thanks again Quinn -

What I meant is that I need HT1 studs and HN2 nuts, but the details tell me enough to look for aftermarket ones.

It seems they are just M10 x 1.50 exhaust studs.

Edit:
OK, now I see where I was confused. If you look at "Callout name HN2", it lists HN1 nut again.

Quinn -

where do you get those images from ?

I need to find out the specs for exhaust manifold studs; what size they are.

From the Ford parts website. But it doesn't get any more detailed than that about parts. I'm sure you can go to a dealership and have them pull one for you so you can measure length, thread size, thread pitch, etc.

Actually that was very helpful, I went there and it shows the stud to be M8 size with the nuts being 8x1.25.

That's all I needed.

Thanks again

Back