Is there a good auto tranny?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
After blowing my first auto tranny, then having trouble with the second, I was wondering if there is a good aftermarket auto tranny, or something out there? I really want to swap to a manual, but I just mounted a lot of stuff right where the shifter would be and hopefully it would be easier to install. Do they make ones with really low gears too? Just wondering!

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know of a tranny that you can replace but I do know of some mods that can be made for the A4LD that will help. First, there are 2 different styles of torque convertors available, the standard replacement and an upgrade. The upgrade has a stonger stator assembly in it that doesn't fail as quickly. Second, the planetary drum has a weak spot welded rear sun gear that can fail causing OD to drop out, but there is an upgrade unit for this as well. The upgrade part has the rear sun gear welded all the way around the drum for increased strength. The third thing is the drain hole for the front main seal. The hole from the factory is too small and when the tranny gets hot, excess pressure behind the front seal blows out causing a big mess and possible catastophic failure. A good rebuild shop will enlargen the hole to prevent the excess pressure build up.

All of these uogrades are useless though if you don't solve the main problem of the A4LD tranny. A good sized cooler and regular maintenence will go along way to help the tranny last longer. I hope this helps.

ttt:)

No!
There are no good auto transmissions.

There are acceptable ones after rework. The early, non-electronic AOD is a good transmission if purchased from an aftermarket supplier who has reworked the weak points. i.e. TCI, Hugh, others.

My thought is that no auto tranmission will ever be as good as a manual transmission. With the use of a hand throttle the manual becomes more versatile.

(Just my 2 cents)

Good Luck on your choice.

:usa: :chug: :ca:

I'll take a good auto tranny over a manual tranny for wheeling any day of the week now. Hell, my tow rig has an auto in it and I love it.

I've never wheeled with an auto until I swapped the C5 into my current rig. I'll really see how it does this weekend.

Good auto trannies. C4, C5, C6, 87-and later GM 700R4, TH400, and so on.

Unfortunately the only good tranny that will bolt up to a 4.0L and retain use of your stock t-case is the C5. It doesn't have overdrive though. It's just a three-speed.

I think people are still scared of automatics from all the horror stories they hear. Hell, I've seen my buddy destroy a Mazda 5-speed manual tranny without even trying.

It all depends on what you want, what you need, and what you can afford.

Back