Is there a key fob with a blade, lock/unlock and remote start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a key fob with a blade, lock/unlock and remote start?

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
I was curious if there's a key compatible with the 2016+ (specifically 2017) that would be essentially an all in one. From what I understand, the key must have the 48 digit char to program to a PIU. I currently have the standard stand alone fleet key and a seperate fob for lock/unlock/trunk. I would like to add a remote start button (similar to DS7Z15K601F) but rather not have essentially 3 things hanging on a key chain for 1 vehicle.

I ordered a CWTWB1U793 key but it did not have the 48 char code so I wasn't able to program it. And it was an original key; not aftermarket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to install some sort of remote start device. ('16 and later)
I have the separate fobs for mine too, and love the range. Anyhow, with my remote start system - three presses on the lock button starts the vehicle. I installed a Fortin Evo-All. Nothing extra needed on your key fob.

I was curious if there's a key compatible with the 2016+ (specifically 2017) that would be essentially an all in one. From what I understand, the key must have the 48 digit char to program to a PIU. I currently have the standard stand alone fleet key and a seperate fob for lock/unlock/trunk. I would like to add a remote start button (similar to DS7Z15K601F) but rather not have essentially 3 things hanging on a key chain for 1 vehicle.

I ordered a CWTWB1U793 key but it did not have the 48 char code so I wasn't able to program it. And it was an original key; not aftermarket.
In terms of programming the key, it does not need to be dealer programmed and you can order a Ford key with the fob connected for the key, either from eBay or Ford themselves. Programming isn't difficult. Start with the vehicle off, cycle the ignition 8 times with the 8th time ending on run. Door locks should cycle, press a button on the new remotes (and existing, it will reset those), locks should cycle. When complete turn ignition off, locks will cycle again. If this doesn't work you'll need to go into FORScan and enable keyless entry.

For my PIU I just added a hood switch to it and it works fine. Not sure about 2016 and later PIUs, may have to add a aftermarket device for that.

In terms of programming the key, it does not need to be dealer programmed and you can order a Ford key with the fob connected for the key, either from eBay or Ford themselves. Programming isn't difficult. Start with the vehicle off, cycle the ignition 8 times with the 8th time ending on run. Door locks should cycle, press a button on the new remotes (and existing, it will reset those), locks should cycle. When complete turn ignition off, locks will cycle again. If this doesn't work you'll need to go into FORScan and enable keyless entry.

For my PIU I just added a hood switch to it and it works fine. Not sure about 2016 and later PIUs, may have to add a aftermarket device for that.
This process does not work on '16 and later. The codes of the remotes must be entered via IDS. The fleet keys lack the chips that would require programming.

This process does not work on '16 and later. The codes of the remotes must be entered via IDS. The fleet keys lack the chips that would require programming.
Ah okay, I'm not familiar with 2016 and later but that's how my 2015 PIU was programmed.

I'd love for this to work on my 2018. If I do get an all-in-one key from Ford, can they program the remote with IDS?

I'd love for this to work on my 2018. If I do get an all-in-one key from Ford, can they program the remote with IDS?
I'm sure they could for a hefty fee. Get a lock smith to do it, they have the tools on hand.

You'd need a key that has the 48 digit code in order to program even with IDS as far as I understand. The all-in-one key that I got (CWTWB1U793) did not have the code. The original key that I have for my other 2014 Ford does not have the key either; only the Ford keyfob basic lock/unlock/trunk keyfob had the code.

So, What I did for mine was get one of these. Note I had to take apart my key fob (one with a 48 digit security code, already programed to lock/unlock the truck) and place the chip and rubber button cover into the flip key. It's not the prettiest thing but it does work and it is the only thing I need to carry to lock/unlock, start and hopefully soon remote start the PIU. Any Ace hardware type store ect. can cut the physical key.
1689456989050.png

Just to follow up on this for anyone trying to get down to a single key/fob on the 16-19 PIU. The above flip key fob cover works to accomplish that. After adding the 12voltsolutions remote start kit. My flip key/fob does it all. RKE, ignition, and remote start.

Back