is there a market for rebuilt 4.0 OHVs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is there a market for rebuilt 4.0 OHVs?

Dora The 4x4'a

Reaction score
City, State
Smalltown, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
i am putting a V8 in my 92 hoepfully soon. i was wondering if there would be a market for em. would it be worth it for me to, when i yank the ol' 4.0, to clean it up, redbuild it and re-sell it?

i would like to do it for the experience, and i would def! like to get some money back on it im pretty strapped for cash. and the v8 swap would really drain me

thanks
-chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if we were closer im sure i could find somethin to throw it in...

how much you think your ganna be asking? price range?

I am going to speak for myself, yes i am interested.

thats basically what im asking.. alrighty then i suppose if even two people are interested thats something id probably do. hoewver i am sorry i hav no idea what id ask right now, it would depoend on the rebuild, and how extensive it was and how well i think it went. but that motor is still in my explorer and will b ther for some time. so thank you for expressing interest but for now it is a ways off from being yanked

I dont need a motor right now. I have a 80,000 motor, that ticks when its cold. I am not really happy with its performance, I had a remanufactured motor I hydrolocked. But with a rebuild I could swap 94 heads, and or a cam or even lowerr compression and add a turbo. So I like to keep my options open.

curious.. how much do you think i should ask for this motor when i yank and build it?

i am going to pull the 4.0 from my 92 explorer. it will have about 150k on it. i am going to strip it down, and rebuild the bottom and top end with a standard "rebuild kit". i am a novice mechanic and will do this with my buddy who is a professional motor builder to aid me in this. i will clean it throughly and possibly paint it and make it look all spiffy. then re-sell the re-built "longblock" (*oilpan to throttle body*)

Parts + 15%, Your time at at $25 an hour.

Remanufactured with heads start around $1,800 + $400 core.

thanks a lot for the help there!.. i would prolbably take my time and do it "right" and absorb the experience so i'd hav to figure somethin out with hourly labor. but thats great
thanks again
-chris

Back