Is there a new 'DX' trim for the 2018/2019 model year Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a new 'DX' trim for the 2018/2019 model year Explorer

Where will this potential DX trim be in the lineup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GalpinFan1221

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Volvo XC90 R Design
I was going through Ford's online parts catalog and found something quite strange. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=IwdHfxOKsaBdI1SGxhO0FA==&id=424333953&m=2&search=true&year=2017&make=Ford&model=Explorer

I noticed that it said all the normal trims, except for the platinum trim. There was also a 'DX Version'. Could they be canceling/renaming the platinum trim (which didn't sell very well) and/or could this be a new ruggedized version (because a lot of civilians want something similar to the PIU)? Let me know in the poll below.

I doubt the 'DX version' is a new trim level. Ford parts sites are usually behind in getting info out on new models. It took several months to be able to pull up the 2017 model year after the vehicle was released.
Not sure where the info came from that the Platinum wasn't selling well. The following was taken from Ford's June sales report.
"Ford Explorer sales increased 22.7 percent, with 21,304 SUVs sold, with one-third of retail sales coming from high series (Limited, Platinum, Sport)."
http://www.4-traders.com/amp/FORD-M...Company-rsquo-s-June-2017-U-S-Sales-24692624/
For those wanting something more rugged, the Bronco may fill that need.
I believe that the 'redesigned' Explorer will be built in 2019 to be released as a new 2020 Explorer.

Peter

I wonder if that's an indicator of destination market--i.e., for Explorers sold in North America or something.

I wonder if that's an indicator of destination market--i.e., for Explorers sold in North America or something.
Might be. Here is the Amateur Radio meaning of 'DX';
Amateur radio operators who specialize in making two way radio contact with other amateurs in distant countries are also referred to as "DXers". On the HF (also known as shortwave) amateur bands, DX stations are those in foreign countries.

Peter

Back