Is there a Plug and Play remote start kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a Plug and Play remote start kit?

CityBoy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago-The New York of the Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer NBX
Hi,
New to the boards, have always read this forum for educational purposes.
Anyway I was wondering if there was a plug and play remote start kit or at least some type of harness for Remote/Security systems.
Thank You!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Compustar does make one, but is for 2006 and up Explorers. Any experienced installer should be able to tackle any 2005 and older. They are not too bad.

I've been interested in a remote start system as well. Not an alarm system, just remote start.

If you have any success, post what you find.

Just go to bestbuy and they'll install it for you. I installed my code alarm system and security bypass with a buddy in an afternoon.

Best Buy offers deals sometimes. Unit and bypass with labor for 200. We install them all the time in Ford's. Factory key fob works while vehicle is running. It is a one button unit, so we hook up unlock for button being pressed twice if you don't have OEM key fob.

I am midway in install, I am going a little over board on my install. But I purchased a cool start, it is a total of 8 wires to tap into, and 1 ground wire. It was pretty simple to install, should have taken less then an hour to do, but like I said I was going overboard. But an important note is you must have 2 different keys, clones do not work, if you don't have 2 keys, you have to go to the dealer, and they charge a lot to program it in.

Also, after doing the install on mine, I looked at the plugin kit for the 06, the connectors look the same, it might be possible that it works on the 02-05 as well, but I would talk to the seller beforehand, who know they might have another kit.

Also watch on groupon, they have deals from time to time as well, deals cheaper then what it cost for me to do it myself.

Not true on having 2 keys. ADS and DEI make modules that require only 1 key if you have access to programming. Does clone every time. At least the hundreds of Ford's I have done.

And plug and play is nice and all, but 02-05 Explorer wires are easy to access anyways. No need to go unplug anything for any kind of harness.

ford did offer a remote start at one point but it is discontinued.. I went and had bestbuy install a viper 5704 with the bypass and it is full alarm and remote start. they only needed one key when they did the install.

Watch out for the remote without the screen.

I constantly would go to my car only to find it running. In my pocket or in my wife's purse, the remote start button would get pushed when we didn't want it too.

They said it was their most popular remote. I told them I smashed mine with a 5 lbs hammer. Now I have this alarm in my car and can't use it. Some 5 yrs ago or so.

Back