Is there a way to diagnose window motor or regulator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to diagnose window motor or regulator?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in - Is there a way to pinpoint between window motor or regulator w/ an inop window? I buy and sell quite a few Explorers and many of them have inop windows - sometimes they make a sound but don't work, just trying to learn how to fix them more efficiently. Thanks

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Here is a great thread for replacing the window regulator, thanks to Dr_Z for this great link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243401

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Ford replaced my drivers rear window motor. It would work sometimes and not others.

It stopped working, I brought it to the dealer (as they did all my extended warranty work) Their test was to hit or punch the door panel. if the motor started working, they said they knew it needed to be replaced.
Well they did that and sent the claim to my extended warranty who denied it saying "its working now"

So when it stopped again, I brought it back to Ford with the work order from the previous time, and told the... DONT PUNCH THE DOOR PANEL!!
they didnt and the extended warranty covered the motor.

Back