Is there a way to do a custom route on the NAV system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to do a custom route on the NAV system?

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
I want to go from point A to B and don't want to use the route selected. I wish to take a different route.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of being able to select a 'custom' route. According to the Owner's Guide there are 3 options;

Choose from up to three different types of routes, and then select
Start Route.
• Fastest Route: Uses the fastest moving roads possible.
• Shortest Route: Uses the shortest distance possible.
• Eco Route: Uses the most fuel-efficient route

Peter

You can kind of customize by turning off/on some of the navigation preferences.

Like No Toll Roads, No HOV lanes, etc etc.

As Peter says we are limited to those 3 options.

I want to go from point A to B and don't want to use the route selected. I wish to take a different route.

What I've done is, if its a route I know, but the navi I taking me along a different route I just go the way I know and eventually it reroutes using the route I am on. Of course its only if I know the route or generally the route I should take.

Example if I wanted to use the Throgs Neck bridge to the George Washington bridge rather than take the navi suggested RFK bridge then I go that way and eventually it figures itself out. As a backup, I have a portable as well as navi on my phone...doesn't hurt to have a backup and a backup to the backup with Ford.

Thanks everyone!

The guys and I took a road trip this past weekend from Newport news, VA to Auburn, IN to attend a convention and I was trying to get it to take us up I-64 thru West VA and not up to DC and thru Pennsylvania. What I did was to edit the "Turn list" and told it to avoid I-95 and BINGO it changed the route to I-64! I wish there was a away that we could customize the route and then send it to the NAV and take it from there. Like you want to go on a trip and hit a few tourist traps and such. I guess you could just set them up as way points and go with that. I have done what ROAMING PHANTOM has do and force the system to just "recalculate" the route many of times!

Turn edits are a good way to stick to your own way,
also putting in some Waypoints helps-all you need is a fast food place near your preferred exit or hiway.

Also try this, maybe this is the most you can get out of the Nav route setup.

Go into Nav settings
Go to Route Preferences
is "Always Use Preferred Route" selected?

This is why it wants to stay on a route and route back to it if you leave the route since you know your own way.

Deselect that option.

Now when you pick a route and set as Dest, it displays in a small box on the the route screen all 3 options as buttons;
Fastest
Shortest
Eco route
Each button has a different colored dot that will be used for road lines if you pick it.

You can toggle among them and it will display the chosen route category highlighted on the map

Pick one and it will use that.

When I tested it :
My particular route was the same for all 3 options-it was only 3 miles away so not a long enough route to really see what it would pick.

When I left the route, it seemed not to keep trying to route back or turn back towards the route behind me, but led to the chosen route as I kept going, back to the route but along my current way.

Seems better so far.
...yes I needed the Nav to go 3 miles...they will put a store anywhere nowadays...:D

Have confirmed on many trips that if you deselect
'Always Use Preferred Route', then the GPS will try to get you there, from wherever you are, as you are going.

It helps if you at least have an idea of where you are when you do this;
-when leaving the current spot and its associated access to turns, hiways or roads, it takes a half minute or so of travel to begin to see new turns and access to roads (instead of u-turns back the way you came).

If there are none, it will try to get you back the way you came until you move further away from that spots possibilities and on to the next area, if that makes sense - move far enough away from the 1st u-turn request and then it will re-plot the route.

I must say last week i was in a bleeping forest community at night, pitch black, had no clue, damn cell phone lost voice & data intermittently, but the GPS kept signal and got me in and out without a problem.:thumbsup:

You can also try a waypoint. This could be an intermediate point between your starting point and ending point which would take you the way you want to go.

good suggestions! Thanks

Back