Is there a way to tell when my Explorer was built from the VIN? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to tell when my Explorer was built from the VIN?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Is there a way to decode the vin and get an approx build date? Or how can I find this out? Thanks, Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The build date should be on the tag inside the drivers door jamb. Month and year only.

It can tell you what year it was built but not the month/date. If you have your Window Sticker, the info you want is on it. Have you checked the label on the driver's door?

Peter

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow.

The ETIS site can tell the specific day with the VIN. You have to be registered to get the vehicle details. The date shown would be in non-US format (DD-MM-YYYY).

It can tell you what year it was built but not the month/date. If you have your Window Sticker, the info you want is on it. Have you checked the label on the driver's door?

Peter

The date on the window sticker is the date it and the invoice were generated. Most of the time, it is seven days prior to the actual build date, with an exception here or there. You can also ask the parts department to run the HVBoM - it will have all the build details and date on it as well.

For those challenged to find it, and since someone will probably ask where it is (mine shown, invoiced on 2/10, built on 2/17):

Date copy.jpg

The build date is in the lower right of the Window Sticker. Mine shows 1201910091452 which means it was built on October 9th 2019. The date as per your highlight, shows 10 02 19 which is a day later.

Peter

The build date is in the lower right of the Window Sticker. Mine shows 1201910091452 which means it was built on October 9th 2019. The date as per your highlight, shows 10 02 19 which is a day later.

Peter

I have that same character string on mine, but it does not reflect the actual build date, since it's a day later. It might be that the window sticker was actually printed and adhered to the vehicle on that day (vs. "generated" within the system like the other date). My build date has been verified by both ETIS, the HVBoM, and a friend at Ford, and it's not per those digits. If you generate your window sticker on-line, you'll see those numbers, but I think it's part of the frame that gets peeled off when the sticker is removed from the vehicle.

You're correct. I just checked the Detail Specs Sheet that the dealer printed out for me and on it it shows Production Date 2019/10/10.

Peter

The build date is in the lower right of the Window Sticker.

The Blend Date is shown on the sticker., not the build date. The build date is usually a week or more after the blend date. My sticker shows a Blend Date of June 8, 2019 and my build date was June 19, 2019. The actual build date in important for things like TSBs. So, if you go to the dealer and show them your sticker, the TSB you think applies, may not.

On my Window Sticker the 'Blend Date' at the top is the same as the date in the lower right corner 1201910091452. The date which is circled in post #6 is a day later which corresponds with the Detailed Specs. printout I received from the dealer. It shows Production Date as being October 10, 2019. However, the date on the sticker/label on the door jam is the same as that shown in the lower right corner of the 'sticker'.

Peter

On my Window Sticker the 'Blend Date' at the top is the same as the date in the lower right corner 1201910091452. The date which is circled in post #6 is a day later which corresponds with the Detailed Specs. printout I received from the dealer. It shows Production Date as being October 10, 2019. However, the date on the sticker/label on the door jam is the same as that shown in the lower right corner of the 'sticker'.

Peter
What's your VIN?

PM sent

The date on the bottom of my window sticker is December 2, 2019 . I really appreciate all the replies, very informative.

The date on the bottom of my window sticker is December 2, 2019 . I really appreciate all the replies, very informative.
If you shoot me your VIN, I'll look it up.

PM sent

Back