Is there paint underneath the factory trim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there paint underneath the factory trim?

Whattodo?

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer Exploder
I recently inherited a Eddie Bauer 2004 Ford Explorer (4.6L V8) and I don't like the look of a green car with beige trim. I want to look like another forum member (can't remember his name):
But rather with the stock black door covers and the beige trim gone and green all the way down. Is it painted the green color underneath the trim? Could I just take the trim off?
Like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would assume that it is painted underneath, they generally paint a whole car with bare metal before they put any trim/plastic/stickers/interior panels on so if it isnt rusted underneath, you should have relatively new looking paint underneath. you will however have holes in the body from where the trim attached.

Yes, I just went and did a really close inspection and realized that it is painted underneath, however the bumper I believe is made this way.
Do you think that an explorer with the trim and brush guard like the first one (without the mount on the racks would look good with a 3 inch body lift and these rims (http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Warrior-Gloss-Machined-5x114-3mm/dp/B004P5O5ZW) on grapplers? Should I try to get the black door handles installed to help make all the black go together?
And I would remove the running boards.

hmm, sounds liek most fo that should be more of what YOU think would look good, its your truck make it your way lol. personally i dont liek body lifts as they do more harm than good, but other than that it all sounds pretty cool to me.

You may already realize this, but keep in mind if you do decide to remove the trim, you'll run into 2 visual problems:

1) There will be holes along the body where the trim clips press into

2) The small trim piece on the front bumper cover cannot be removed - it's once solid molded piece.

I think you should keep the trim, but change the color or black, or some kind of liner. I feel like the trim grounds the truck a bit more visually and beefs the stance. Especially for a nice dark green color like yours (my favorite factory explorer color by far - shame I never found one local)

Back