Is this a 4.0L V6 SOHC timing chain rattle or something elese? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a 4.0L V6 SOHC timing chain rattle or something elese?

jmaurath

Reaction score
City, State
maurath.06@gmail.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
maurath.06@gmail.com
I've been trying to track down the source of a rattle coming from my engine. I have read a lot about the timing chain rattle but I can't seem to find many recordings of the actual sound so I'm wondering if that is the issue I have. I have confirmed that it is not accessory related as I still have the noise when I run the engine without the serpentine belt. however I hear the noise best from the bottom front of the engine, not near either of the timing tensioners so I'm wondering if this is not something else.

2008 Explorer, 4x4, 4.0L SOHC V6, 147,000 miles, oil changed regularly.

Please take a listen and let me know if this sounds like the timing chain issue. The sound is heard several times in the video, but just to be clear there is a good example of it at 0:23 seconds into the video, its a metal clinking sound almost like a muted bell ringing or a failed bearing.

The sound is not very loud or constant, and occurs only at Idle (cold or hot). It did get better after oil change but did not go away. The sound frequency of the sound does not really follow the engine speed either, its almost like an exhaust rattle but I've searched and searched and am pretty sure its coming from the engine.

Could it possibly be a failing main bearing? Bad harmonic stabilizer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Death rattle will usually be loudest at the top front of the valve cover on the driver side, and the rear of the passenger side. That's because the chains start grinding against the side of the head there when the guides explode.

Hard to tell through the computer.

Back