Is this a 5R55N or 5R55S/W solenoid pack??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a 5R55N or 5R55S/W solenoid pack???

dsblk93gt

Reaction score
City, State
Plattsburgh, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
OK, I bought this reman solenoid pack and when I went to install, it was not the right one!!:( That was about a month ago or so and I just have not had time to bother with it.

I have a 2002 Mountaineer, AWD, 4.6L V8. This "should" be the correct one since I ordered one for a W/S tranny since I "thought" only the N came in the 4.0L???? Am I going nuts? LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

parts004-4.jpg

I found this pic.....
5R55_Solenoid_Pac.jpg

I have a 2002 Mountaineer, AWD, 4.6L V8. This "should" be the correct one since I ordered one for a W/S tranny since I "thought" only the N came in the 4.0L???? Am I going nuts? LOL

Mine is an 5r55s. AWD 4.6L V8.
What does the original look like? That looks like its for an 'S'.

Mine is an 5r55s. AWD 4.6L V8.
What does the original look like? That looks like its for an 'S'.

Thats why I'm lost!! The one in my Mountaineer is definitely different one bolt hole does not line up. I had took a pic with my cell and now I can't find it!!! @$#%&^#$^. But there are only 2 different ones correct?

But why would it NOT be an S/W tranny?

The 1st link is where I got that pic above of the 2. I am 99% sure the one I bought in for an S or W, but WTF tranny is in mine if it doesn't fit? I thought the S came in all the V8's? Is my '02 some kind of fluke? I just went and got an OEM new Ford one but I'm it won't work either. ACCCK. This Mountaineer has been nothing but problems, and I'm a diehard Ford guy. As soon as I can get it sorted out it is gone as I got a '04 F150 FX4.

That 2nd link won't work for me either?

The second link has a PDF. Do you have the Adobe reader?

Ya, it is not showing up as a pdf though...odd.

I can't get any definite answer on what is wrong with the tranny.

Do these have the adjustable bands or only the older trannies?

I have done as much searching and reading as I have time for, I'm just super busy with work and then get home to a 3 yr old that requires alot of attention.

Ok, that shows the one I bought. But what is my tranny if that one doesn't work? Is it an N?

Which tranny does my '02 Mountaineer V8 have??

Which one does it have, or should I say, SHOULD it have. It obviously doesn't have an S/W so is it an E? N? All I know is I went to change the solenoid pack and it was not the right one. I have one for a S/W trans which is what I thought my Mountaineer had. PLEASE before someone tells me to search...read..etc..etc. I have and I am just as lost. Thanks for any help.

Is it possible for a previous owner to have replaced the transmission?

That's possible I guess. It didn't look like it had been out, but it is hard to tell.

I ran an OASIS and it had axles replaced, and alot of other crap under the warranty, but nothing tranny related. I'm going to try, and mess with it tonight. I'd just much rather work on my Mustang.

Back