Is this a good place to buy a shift motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a good place to buy a shift motor

fastfords

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/tcsb1.html I got this link from here and was wondering who has bought from them and is this the correct part number for my 94 xlt.I really don't have the time to mess around too much and if 109 is the price Id rather buy it and switch it out and just rebuilding mine later.we started to get snow and I don't have 4x4 ,we checked with a volt meter and there is current going to the motor we even got the lights to come on when testing but no worky when just pressed alone,so any way does that site have the right price and part number thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this: Shift Motor Rebuild

I did this in my driveway, in winter, in about 30 min. It's easy to do and will save you from spending any money at all. That little rubber bumper wears down and causes contacts to loose connection, so motor will no longer respond.

You don't need to do a full shift motor rebuild..
  1. Mark the sensor cover
  2. Remove the Torx 20 security screws
  3. Pop off the sensor cover
  4. Remove the geared sensor (It just pulls out)
  5. Replace washer with broken
  6. Reassemble

This can easily be done in under 1/2 hour and will get your shift motor working faster than waiting for one to arrive in the mail.

Is it possiable to just remove the t-20 bolts and check the bumper or do I have to remove the shift motor entierly.

You don't need to do a full shift motor rebuild..
  1. Mark the sensor cover
  2. Remove the Torx 20 security screws
  3. Pop off the sensor cover
  4. Remove the geared sensor (It just pulls out)
  5. Replace washer with broken
  6. Reassemble

This can easily be done in under 1/2 hour and will get your shift motor working faster than waiting for one to arrive in the mail.

ahh thanks thats what I wanted to know

I would take it all the way out, it doesn't take much more and you can check and clean the brushes and contacts. Take a pencil eraser and rub it on the copper armiture (where brushes contact the coil) and also on the contacts on the board. You can replace the rubber bushing with any rubber hose that size or if it's still intacked just rotate it.

Is it possiable to just remove the t-20 bolts and check the bumper or do I have to remove the shift motor entierly.

Correct.. you don't need to remove the shift motor from the T-case. You just need to pop off the cover and pull out the geared sensor.. Some people have had a more difficult time than others pulling off the geared sensor; as such they resorted to removing the entire shift motor just to poke the sensor off from behind.

ExploringNC: Although removing it completely allows you to inspect it more closely it takes more time and may result in you accidentally breaking or losing a part in the process. When you live in Ohio at this time of year you want to fix it as quickly as possible before the snow starts to fly ;).

ok I got my truck up and the cover off just having a liitle trouble getting the gear sensor off .a little piece came off that looks like a gasket does it matter.Im doing this in my snowy drive way not the safest but I'm on limited time I have to pick up my son in a couple of hours

That little piece could be the rubber bushing, therfore the culpret.

If all else fails you could remove the motor and manually ingage 4x4, as long as your not driving on dry pavement.

ok I got my truck up and the cover off just having a liitle trouble getting the gear sensor off .a little piece came off that looks like a gasket does it matter.Im doing this in my snowy drive way not the safest but I'm on limited time I have to pick up my son in a couple of hours

The cork gasket is to prevent water from entering (when going through 1'+ of water.. ) keep it under that and you'll be fine (just add some RTV sealant when you get a chance).

I would use a few thin blade screw drivers to pull the gear straight off. If you use only one you'll be forcing the gear against the selector shaft making it harder to remove..

If that doesn't work and to save some aggravation you can just remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the shift motor onto the T-case.. With the shift motor removed you can easily poke the geared sensor off from behind. Once the gear is out you can re-install the shift motor and then inspect the gear for the infamous broken stop bumper..
27133Tcase17B.jpg

ok I think I broke something I was using a dental pick to try and pry it and kind of broke the tip it might of stayed in there,I don't have time today to try and make it work so I put it back for now will that piece hurt anything and what if I chipped just a bit of the white part on the sensor gear?I'm I screwed?

ok I think I broke something I was using a dental pick to try and pry it and kind of broke the tip it might of stayed in there,I don't have time today to try and make it work so I put it back for now will that piece hurt anything and what if I chipped just a bit of the white part on the sensor gear?I'm I screwed?

No big deal.. You're shift motor is effectively dead anyway (ie pressing 4x4 won't cause any issues). Once you have time you can remove the shift motor and push out the geared sensor..

Thanks for the help guys ,The sad part is I won't have off till next Friday,hopfully we won't get more snow till then.

Back