Is this a good price for Monroe Struts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a good price for Monroe Struts?

patrick7899

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT 4WD
I've been doing a ton of searching all morning for replacement struts for my 2003 Explorer XLT 4WD. I was torn between the KYB Gas-a-Just and the Monroe Sensa-Trac. I found a site that has 24hr online tech chat. So I confirmed that they will fit my year and model Explorer and I asked his opinion on which to use. He said that the KYB's are a little more heavy duty to be used for towing. I don't tow anything nor do I really carry and heavy loads. I'm just looking for a smoother ride because the factory struts are a little too mushy for my taste. Its about 70K miles on the Explorer now.
So I found some Monroe Sensa-Tracs online with shipping for $207.01. I just wanted to check to see if you guys thought this was a decent price. I noticed some pricing on older posts so I wasn't sure how accurate they would still be.
I also wanted to ask about doing the install myself. I've done spring over strut replacement on several cars before so I'm not new to it. But are there any Explorer specific issues or tips out there that I should know about?
Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! We have the same vehicle, and if you want to avoid problems, do not use the Monroes on your front end - I had the Monroes and this particular application is not sized right - seem too short. I now have KYB, and there are no issues. Monroes might be fine for the rear wheels, but not the front. I changed my oem struts at about 72k. Good luck!

Welcome! We have the same vehicle, and if you want to avoid problems, do not use the Monroes on your front end - I had the Monroes and this particular application is not sized right - seem too short. I now have KYB, and there are no issues. Monroes might be fine for the rear wheels, but not the front. I changed my oem struts at about 72k. Good luck!

Which model KYB's did you end up getting? There is only a $6 increase in price for the Gas-A-Just compared to the Monroes. Did you do the install yourself?

Any updates? I am looking to replace my struts as well. Did you need a sprint compressor?
Regards,
BILL

Any updates? I am looking to replace my struts as well. Did you need a sprint compressor?
Regards,
BILL

Yes, you will need a SPRING compressor. That is the only way to separate the spring from the strut in order to get the new strut in place within the spring.

Donner is correct dont use monroes i had them and switched over to KYB TONS better there double acting the ride will be a little stiffer but truck wont bounce all over the road

How much of a PITA is it to DYI? Would autozone have a strut compressor for rent?

Yes, you will need a SPRING compressor. That is the only way to separate the spring from the strut in order to get the new strut in place within the spring.

Thank you. Are there any other brands I should look at? I am willing to have extra stifness as opposed to bouncing/pitching and heaving.

Donner is correct dont use monroes i had them and switched over to KYB TONS better there double acting the ride will be a little stiffer but truck wont bounce all over the road

I would recommend a shop install them for you to prevent injury. I don't know, but doubt that a compressor would be available for use. Are you familiar with installation? I am not... I watch from a distance :)

can be done yourself , compressing spring can be a pita but doable installing the rears are a PITA getting the strut over the control arm into its pocket , fronts are a breeze , or you can purchase the complete assembly ( strut spring ) and just install no need to mess with compressing , dont know what brand struts are used withthat tho i wanted KYB so i did it myself

Its not hard I have done mine a few times. The rears are harder then the fronts but not to bad.

You will need a spring compressor but they are not that much $$ I think a paid around $30 for mine, I use the one with the u bolts I don't like the ones with just the safety clips.

Takes me about 15min to pull the rears and about 10 for the fronts.

I don't know of any one selling a complete assembly.

Thanks. I guess this is the weekend I do mine. Is there any tech writeup that you used?

What'd you get??

Got a set of KYB GR2's

Alright! Hope you like them... :)

Thanks. I Installed them yesterday. Will take them on the road tomorrow. What a PITA to install. Dealer wanted $455+ tax. If I could have found some to do it for around $250 I would have went for it. The stockers still had some rebound and no leaks, but I was getting a lot of side to side motion. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Alright! Hope you like them... :)

Back