Is this a good price?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, I found some axles off a '74 Bronco yesterday. The owner is selling both rebuilt D44 and rebuilt 9" with only 3000 miles on them. It includes the disk brake conversion for the D44, power brake booster, proportioning valve, and new Warn hubs. The owner said it was a James Duff conversion kit, but didn't say what was included in that or if the kit is just what I listed above. She's looking for $1200. Does that sound good? And what is the James Duff conversion kit?

Edit: the gears are 4:11. Will that be OK for somewhat daily driving?

These axles will work for my X right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt---- I'll need to know pretty soon as there is a line waiting.

yes, dear God, buy them, and buy them NOW. the James Duff conversion kit is a disc brake conversion kit for the 66-75 early bronc D30 & D44. the kit alone retails for around $900. the power brake conversion is another $400 (though, i dont see you needing it.) the rear will be a 28 spline, but thats ok. 31-35 spline conversions are available if you feel inclined on down the road. need any more advice, feel free to ask. i have a 75. and BTW, if you didnt get my point, this is a DAMN GOOD DEAL.

What would be bad about the 28 spline? How much would the conversion cost?

Basically james t is telling you to spend the money and buy this.

Originally posted by WannaBTrckmagik
Basically james t is telling you to spend the money and buy this.
come on, man. im wetting my pants over here! FRIGGIN GO BUY IT NOW!!!!!!! 28 splines are slightly, and i mean slightly, more prone to breakage during wheeling. you can get 31 spline replacement axles for around $250. but, then you gotta get a 31 spline carrier (locker). not to worry, ive still got the 28's in the back of mine and have only broken one before (i have a spool, and TRY to break axles often). so, dont worry about the 28 spline deal, sorry i mentioned it, and go buy you some axles......

Alright, alright.:D another $1200 down the drain.:)

:D :D :D Buy it! Buy it now! Go! Go get it!:D :D :D
This is definately a great deal. Around here it is difficult to find a axle of that quality for under $2200.

4.11's are perfect for daily driving with 31's - 33"'s Your gonna need 33's when you drop that D44 under your Ex, you are looking at a 8" lift.

Oh and if you dont buy those I will.

Are both axles open?

You wont need the power booster or the master cylinder stuff but you can sell them to somebody in the EB crowd easy and make 1/5 of your $$$ back!!!

rear should at least have a trac-loc in it. 99% of all EB's ive seen had trac-loc in rear factory, and some (like mine) had one in the front factory. the "loc" will suffice for mild wheeling.

Now watch he's gonna say "she siad they were both ARB'd or something like that"... hehehe

Seen it happen before!
Heck Iknow a guy who got a early Explorer with a bad engine for $500. It had a Warn 8000i on a warb push bar, a Rancho 3" lift with radius arms, 4.56 front and rear, dual ARB's, etc etc etc....I wish something like this would fall out of the sky into my lap!!!!!

Of course I got lucky too cuz I bought the front ARB for el cheapo!

Well, I am still in the process. She hasn't responded yet, and I asked if there was any lockers included (since she didn't say before). The only problem is that I don't exactly have all the money right now, but I can sell the power brake sys.

410 Fortune - I'll definately tell you if I can't get it, so you can.

410Fortune - Check your PM box.:D

Back