Is this a safe jack point? (picture) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a safe jack point? (picture)

feedthemonkey

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
Is this a safe jack point for working under the car? It's not the point shown in my Hayes (and that point is so far to the rear that my jacks don't get the front wheels off the ground....could buy taller jacks).

IMG_7801.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from this perspective it looks ok. that said, i dont know the thickness of that beam, etc. i heard under the shock tower is a good place

"Place them out as close to the wheel as you can on the beams. You will see where the radius arm bolts to the beam there is also a bracket that picks up your sway bar drop link, you can put the jack stand right there."
-410fortune

It looks like the Jack stand is side loaded. The base is also ridiculously close to the grove in the floor.

I don’t like it.

Is this a safe jack point for working under the car? It's not the point shown in my Hayes (and that point is so far to the rear that my jacks don't get the front wheels off the ground....could buy taller jacks).

View attachment 434757
Honestly it doesn't look safe to me

If it’s leaning the Jack stand the load isn’t straight up and down. Side load too hard, and the stand will kick out.

It looks like the Jack stand is side loaded. The base is also ridiculously close to the grove in the floor.

I don’t like it.
i couldnt tell that when i see it. how large/detailed is the image? when i see it its tiny maybe 3"x3" on my screen

It looks to me like the whole thing is ****ed out at the top towards the tire. Sometimes pictures make things look weird, though.

I’m extremely cautious with jack stands. I almost always leave the jack in, unloaded, or slide a wheel or two under the car if I’m going to really be jamming on something.

The best solution here would be a taller stand on the frame, or at least move the truck back a few inches. It might be as simple as taking a new bite with the stand.

Before crawling under a car on stands always give it a little wiggle to make sure it’s settled where it’s going to be happy.

Another wild option might be to pull the rear wheel. If the rear could get closer to the ground you might be able to put both jacks on that side. One on the frame where is recommended and one in the rear, or under the axle tube.

That is a good location on the beam to set your jack stand
you just need to do a better job of setting it in place (letting the truck down on it)
It is not easy with the ttb because of the angles of the beams
I use much larger jack stands under there, with a larger "footprint" on the ground

Also make sure rear tire is chocked

The groove would be my only concern. On my phone, it doesn't look side loaded, I think it is how the picture is projecting the image.

The groove would be my only concern. On my phone, it doesn't look side loaded, I think it is how the picture is projecting the image.
yeah saw it on mobile, so it didnt look it to me

That’s a good jack point and a good area to put the stands. As others said, just move the car so the stand isn’t over that gap.
I remember in HS shop class some kid jacking the vehicle up by placing it under the transmission pan despite the teacher warning everyone multiple times not to do it. Always entertaining to see the imprint of the saddle on his trans pan every time the car was on a lift after that

You're on concrete which is good. Double up with your floor jack for added protection. What will get you is (A) your vehicle is not chocked and can roll, (B) you're on unstable ground or an incline or the jack can sink.

Back