Is this all i need to do a sas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this all i need to do a sas?

Hey ya'll i got a 93 explorer. I'm looking to do a sas. I just want to make sure i got everything put on my parts list. Tell me if i'm missing something. Click on the tuff country site and tell me if thats everything in the lift besides the hangers.
What I need:
Dana 30
spring hangers
4" tuff country cj lift

I'm hoping i can do this for under a grand. I'm sure most of ya'll will laugh at that but i realy aint got the money to be doing this in the first place. But my lock outs went out and instead of replaceing them i want to do a sas. Most of u might say y not wait till u got extra cash and the awnser is i need 4 wheel to get down some of the back roads around here. Thanx for ya'lls help it is greatly apreciated. I'll send photo's when i get started.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't forget the beer....

Do not use CJ springs. The spring hangers must be custom made. How much lift are you wanting after the axle is under the truck? It could be possible to do under a grand, though highly unlikely and deff not done the preferred way. The steering will give you the biggest headache.

If you'd like to see how a leaf spring SAS goes, check out Derrick_C.'s or my own thread under the SAS registry. I'll show you how I do them and how I make the brackets. PM me or Derrick if you'd like to know more.

I'm sorta positive on this but aren't CJs a shackle mount on the front of the leaves instead of the rear??? I could be wrong.

Yeah it looks like your on the right track but need the road paved for ya. :) Search around or PM me or NOTAJP(Kent).

1) for your age and budget constraints, replace the hubs and drive on (I can list a way to spend $1000 on your rig and make it nice looking and lifted).

2) stay away from Tuff Crappy, just a bunch of junk. a good PAIR of aftermarket leaf packs by themselves should run you $300+

3) that is FAR from all that would be needed for a SAS

Every project allways goes overtime and overbuget.

Well i might go witt 6" lift and do some triming and call 35's good

Take a look at Rubicon Express. Kent(NOTAJP) runs Rubicon and when mines done I'll be runnin Rubicon too. Look into the leafs for a Jeep YJ and try to get them in a extreme duty series. Then you still need a drop pittman arm for a Ford, steering will probably come from Mountianoffroad.com, then shock towers, then shocks, gears. It'll keep goin. Trust me. :)

90% of all JPs had a shackle mount in front. That's not the concern. We can build anything. ;) The concern with CJs are the springs are only 2" wide. Not good. IF and I do mean IF you found the perfect D30 axle (meaning complete from hub to hub with the correct gears as you have now) and half-assed the steering ('S' shaped drag link) then you could possibly get close to your budget. You will need:

drop pitman arm $60
Spring hangers (from me :cool: ) $150
Custom springs (depending on lift) $300
complete D30 axle from Wrangler (no cherokee) $300(maybe good eBay find)
Extended brake lines $120
SOA for rear $45 (weld on perches and shock mounts)
Shocks $150
Custom drag link $100
Shock towers $50
Shackles $75
Being able to weld yourself of course

This is about the cheapest ideal condition I could find. Now add another $200 because you will need something. Now add another $400 becuase the axle will most likely need new brakes, ball joints, etc.

You will need a lot of fabrication, mechanical, and engineering skills. I can help you with some of the suspension engineering along with what and what not to buy but this all takes A LOT of time and effert.

I've got a lot of years working on JPs and have done several SAS's on a number of rigs. Swee(and a set of numbers), Yomie, Derrick, and countless others have or are in the process of performing a SAS with leaf springs. Take a good look at their threads and then determine what you can or cannot do.

If you are not 100% positive you can do any of this or confident in your skills, please don't try this at home.

NOTAJP said:
complete D30 axle from Wrangler (no cherokee)
Usually, most recommend the opposite, so I have to ask why? And I would take a YJ 30 over a TJ 30.

It's Swee294349 :)

You may get lucky and spend around a grand. I myself spent about $2000 so far and all i need to do now is lengthen my driveshaft and have it aligned. NOTAJP did my spring hangers (which are indestructable), and you need to find the right deals on parts, and either know how to weld or know of someone who can weld. I just so happened to be lucky enough to have a master welder in the family. NOTAJP does some quality stuff. So, if you want things done right the first time then take your time researching and searching for deals until your head hurts. good luck with it if you do goes this route. It's a lot of fun!

HeyTom! I couldn't remeber your screen name for the life of me. Yeah, pick Swee294349's brain. He's a great guy and did a killer job with his SAS.

Robb said:
Usually, most recommend the opposite, so I have to ask why? And I would take a YJ 30 over a TJ 30.

I guess I should have specified YJ Wrangler. The YJ and TJ are both Wranglers for the rest of the crowd. Thanks Robb.

The YJ Wrangler is a HP Dana 30 but has the disconnect axle. The TJ wrangler is a low pinion, you don't want this. However, the TJ shafts are much stronger and come with the 297x (dana 44 size) u-joints. From the knuckle out they are all same. Why they put a LP on the TJ is beyond me. :rolleyes:

The Cherokee axle is a real PITA due to all the extra brackets welded and/or cast onto the axle housing. This is not a good thing if one desires leaf springs. Some (not all) Cherokee did have the one piece passenger side axle shaft, but with the smaller u-joint.

The Grand Cherokee's have two different axles, most were LP and coil sprung. The WJ (99-newer) axle has much larger bearings, rotors, and two piston calipers but had a different bolt pattern.

Somewhere there is a huge thread on axle choices. If there isn't much on the D30s let me know and I'll start one.

Thanks NOTAJP. Hit me up anytime if you need any help researching on your SAS. I had read from day one on Rick's buildup until today. Soak in all you can. I personally wanted an axle that was going to maintain the stock bolt pattern as well as leaf springs. go YJ for it's HP. and if you're lucky you may find someone selling them cheap.

:d

i am doing this same swap the d30 in a couple of months after i get my finances situated...if u are there reading this thread NOTAJP or anyone else with high knowledge of the d30 swap (leaf sprung)...i am in auto tech and know a welder so i can definately have this done as soon as i gather up the money and the parts...anyway my x is currently in 2wd state and i am going this route to make it 4wd...my question is i got the parts list for what i need to buy..but, what transmission and t-case am i going to have to use to convert to 4wd (explorer 4x4 Tranny and Jeep t-case) i'm assuming i might have that part right but could someone tell me the exact t-case and tranny models...u get the idea of what i need to know...so please can anyone help...thanx

Back