• Register Today It's free!

Is this cam too big?

richardumberger

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford ranger 5.0 4406
Is this cam too big for my stock 4r70w torque converter?

Cam Specs
2,000-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 225
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./225 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 275
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 279
Advertised Duration: 275 int./279 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.510 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 int./0.510 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt
Computer-Controlled Compatible: Yes
Grind Number: HR-224/339-2S-12
Valve Springs Required: Yes
Lift w/ 1.6 rocker (intake/exhaust) - .499"/.510"
Lobe separation (degrees) - 112°

If so can you explain how i go about getting one in the right range please. Im running 4.56 gears with 37 inch tires. I put cam in dot to dot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason for asking is im having drive ability issues. When truck is put in gear most time it dies without help from throttle. It idles fine in neutral and park. It has no power after initial throttle. Can't find a vacuum leak and fuel pressure is good at 33psi aprox. Ive talked to 3 guys that know cars and was told that was very possibly my issue just checking around a little more and researching before buying a 600-900 dollar high stall converter

Way too big In My Opinion unless you are running forced induction or other heavy duty engine mods.

You camshaft just swallowed your engine.

Anything but a lobe separation of 114 runs like crap without a ton of tuning on fuel injected 302s.

Anything but a lobe separation of 114 runs like crap without a ton of tuning on fuel injected 302s.

I'm actually running a Comp Cams 35-308-8 without any issues but it has been tuned on a Dyno.

I'm going to say the cam is fine, as long as your willing to put the money in to tuning. How does your truck start? No issues cold or hot? You may just need to have the idle bumped up, but full tuning is most desirable for sure.

With that cam, I'm certain a higher stall converter would help your truck step out of the hole, but that's only part of the issues your describing.

Also, please tell me you changed the valve springs when the cam went in.

When I swapped a 4R70W into my 68 cougar I used a torque converter from a 3.8L for the higher stall speed.

Yes i put trick flow spring valve kit and comp cams double roller timing chain too. What cam can be used for our application without changing anything i haven't changed already. Engine is naturally aspirated

Ive been looking at a 2600-2800 stall converter. I know stall needs to be about 500 rpm about cam range

I'm running the hr35-510-8

208/216@ .050
.533/.544 lift
112 LSA

Goes like stink. Still untuned. Occasionally on hot restart it I immediately drop into gear it'll stall but if I wait 5-10 second after starting it's fine.

I've considered moving up to the 264hr but not sure until I get a tuning option.

Back