• Register Today It's free!

Is this fluid the right color?

neo95

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt V8 AWD
I have a post about locating a leak somewhere in the transfer case area: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357943
Im trying to find the source of the leak but I am also confused by the color of the fluid. My trans fluid is red but this stuff is a clear-ish black. I was told it should be red like the trans fluid and that maybe it could be this color if its never been changed. I dont know if its ever been changed. I know in the past 4 years it hasnt, possibly never. Theres 100,000+ miles on it.

Also, the under side of the truck is saturated with this fluid and I have a drip pan under there since it drips so much. I removed the top "fill" plug on the rear of the transfer case and fluid started pouring out.

My questions are:
What color/ type of fluid should be in the transfer case?
How could there be fluid pouring out from the fill plug if its been leaking for a couple months?

25p7m1y.jpg

The fluid is very thin and watery in viscosity. This is how it came out looking strait from the xfer case

1gn62v.jpg

34gn0ag.jpg

it's way over the full mark for starters,,
it should only be filled to the bottom of the top or fill plug, and yes it should be trans fluid,,

i would flush that shiz out with some trans fluid mixed with gasoline, than refill it with good new trans fluid, to the bottom of the top , or fill plug,,

it's way over the full mark for starters,,
it should only be filled to the bottom of the top or fill plug, and yes it should be trans fluid,,

i would flush that shiz out with some trans fluid mixed with gasoline, than refill it with good new trans fluid, to the bottom of the top , or fill plug,,

Any idea why it look the way it does? I dont know the history of this truck.
Thanks for the info!

I just read on a Chevy Blazer forum where a guy had a similar situation I have. His transfer case vent tube was leaking fluid also. When he opened the fill plug, his Tcase was also over filled. Turns out those trucks have a problem where the transmission rear seal goes bad and the fluid leaks into the transfer case thus over filling it and spewing out of the vent tube. This would explain my trans slipping recently. Anyone ever hear of this with an explorer?

>> "The transfercase being over filled is CAUSE BY A BAD rear trans seal. The trans fluid goes down the trans output shaft and into the transfer case imput shaft. There are a bunch of old TSB talking about this problem. There are 2 seals and 1 gasket that must be replaced. " >>

Back