Is This Legal???

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Is it legal for a passenger in a car to video tape cars while the car is in motion? Tonight I went out with the video camera. I was riding shotgun in my friends explorer and my other friend was driving his probe. We were going down a 3 land road and we come to a stop light. My friend is in the middle land and I'm on his left. The light turns green and he takes off (because he wants to see how his car sounds, that the whole purpose of this). About 10 seconds later a car pulls up next to us and I hear "Hey!!! Put it away!!!" First thing I thought was "Oh ****, cop" but it wasnt. It was just a regular guy driving his regular car. I looked at his jacket and it looked like he was a security guard somewhere. Probably just some security guard that thinks hes God. Anyway, I'm just wondering if its legal to do or not. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
not really... other than invasion of privacy..... or possibly spying.... but there isnt to much they can do legally.....

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
But people have video cameras on in disney world or other places... thats not spying. TV crews go out on the roads and tape traffic... thats not invasion of privacy. I just cant see how what I'm doing is any different, other than not having a filming license or whatever. I'll have to ask a cop.

Retrolantern

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Nothing illegal about filming from a moving vehicle here in Louisiana that I know of..... (I'm a cop)
(technically if it had a small tv type screen on it, and it was being operated in the front seat, I could write the driver a ticket for 'television screen in the front while driving'
But, good chance that it would get thrown out in court.

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Its nice to see a cop with tints, neons, loud exhaust...

Sounds like a sweet truck.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
the way i understand it is this. technically, if you are in a public place, you can legally film anything you want. obviously you cant do this WHILE driving. but, as long as its in a public place, you do not even need the person whom you're filming permission.

mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
There is absolutely nothing illegal about videotaping from a vehicle - moving or not - as long as it's SAFE. I produce videos for a living and have spent many hours shooting from the backs, fronts and sides of automobiles - some of it for fire departments and law enforcement agencies!

Now, if you were driving unsafely or your friend was being an idiot (and I'm not suggesting he was! ;)) with the camera, that's a different story.

What I've learned time and again in the 10 years I've been shooting, is that some people just don't like cameras! Blame it on 60 Minutes or whatever, but many people - when they see a camera (especially a big broadcast rig like the one I use) - freak out and are immediately suspicious. Cameras have a way of recording embarrassing or illegal activity (think Rodney King) and that makes some people - like your rent-a-cop - nervous.

One caveat to all this - if you're on a private street or property, the owner of said property can indeed demand you get off of it. That doesn't mean you have to stop rolling tape (never stop rolling tape! LOL), but you do have to move it. Also, there are other places where using a video camera may indeed be illegal - like airport security checkpoints. Talk about freaking out...! :D

Retrolantern

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Originally posted by 98FordX24
Its nice to see a cop with tints, neons, loud exhaust...

Sounds like a sweet truck.

Thanks!!... yeah.. I'm really starting to like the look of my truck...can't wait to get some better looking wheels on it though. But yeah, even though I'm a 28y/o police officer, and enjoy my job, I'm truely a 20 y/o ricer on the inside:D
Plus I've never stopped anyone for tint, neons, exhaust, or any other mods. I stick to the ones with expired everything, no insurance, switched plates, suspended DL. (ya know..the ones who try to skim by for free while we all have to pay dearly)

hrbib21

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
It all depends what you do with the film after. For example, if you film someone and then put it on a website without their permission they may have legal recourse. But as for filming in a car while someone else is driving, no, I don't see how that would be illegal. Personally, I would've filmed the guy yelling at you and brought the tape to the cops if he did anything illegal himself. I think screaming at someone is harassment and that would be illegal.

hrbib21

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
Originally posted by Retrolantern
Thanks!!... yeah.. I'm really starting to like the look of my truck...can't wait to get some better looking wheels on it though. But yeah, even though I'm a 28y/o police officer, and enjoy my job, I'm truely a 20 y/o ricer on the inside:D
Plus I've never stopped anyone for tint, neons, exhaust, or any other mods. I stick to the ones with expired everything, no insurance, switched plates, suspended DL. (ya know..the ones who try to skim by for free while we all have to pay dearly)
That's how it should be. Any mod that doesn't represent a hazard or conflict with the operation of the vehicle shouldn't be a problem anyway. I see too many cops pulling people over around here, for example for stupid things like neon but they're only using that as an excuse to try to find other things wrong so they can write a ticket. This being a tourist town it happens all the time to tourists and I don't think that's right.

Retrolantern

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Yeah, theres guys that I work with who love writing tickets.... and some that especially love to give the younger crowd a hard time (tint, neons, excessive acceleration, etc..) Maybe they were the guys picked on in JR High, I dunno. But then theres some of us who really aren't into writing our doctors, bankers and stock brokers kids silly tickets, and you'll find us in the "high crime areas" stirring things up. Personally I think nice, fixed up vehicles add life to otherwise boring cities at night.

99explorer5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0L
I think you should apply for a police job here in RI ... It would be great to have you around !!! :bounce:

mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
I think you should apply for a police job here in RI ... It would be great to have you around !!! :bounce:
I always love it when people actually meet and talk to a cop who's not on the job. HOLY S**T, they're actually REAL people!!! Some of you may be surprised to find that there are plenty of cops just like Retrolantern - perhaps some on the very force that serves your town!

Get to know some of 'em and you find out the majority are cool people who are in the job for the right reasons. Of course, as Retrolantern said, there's always a few in every department who are a**holes, but then, ain't that just like life? :D

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
My "good" cop story and proof that they are normal people.

Freshman year in college. Normal Thursday night parties (small colleges have parties on Thurs because everybody leaves on the weekends). The two main party phrats on campus were the Delta House and the Alpha House (Delta=drunks, Alpha=jocks). This particualr night, the Alphas are having a big party, so as normal, my friends and I show up at the Delta house, have a few beers, head over the Alpha House for a couple of hours, then return to the Delta House to drink the night away.

10:00 - Get caught by officer walking from Delta House to Alpha House, beer in hand. Get a silly ticket for underage drinking and have to pour out my 12-pack one by one.

10:05 - Show up at Alpha House, everyone has seen what happened, help me refill my backpack.:D

1:00 - Show back up at Delta House......guess who is there? The officer that gave me the ticket is now off duty and working security at the Delta House. We shoot the sh1t for awhile while I continue to drink right in front of him.

4:00 - The officer (now security guy) is relieved of his duties.................but hangs around and drinks with us til morning!

OK, that was a long story with not much of a point, but it was the first time in my life that I had ever spoken with and hung out with a cop. When on duty, his did his job. When off duty, he was a very cool guy.

Robb

ps: I do not support underage drinking and the officer in this story was perfectly aware that I (and the others) weren't going to drive or anything because the dorms were only 2 blocks away.

Retrolantern

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Originally posted by 99explorer5.0

hehe, probably better pay up there, but I don't think I could handle all the cold weather

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Retrolantern... you're my kinda cop!!! Today I asked my boss who is a retired cop and he said I can video tape anything I want to as long as I'm not driving.

Hey Retro... whats the fine on a ticket for excessive accelleration and what kinda cop would give out a ticket for that? The majority of cops I see on the road dont use their blinker, speed excessivly, flip their lights on to go thru redlights and then turn them off, and make all kinds of traffice violations like U turns or left hand turns where they are not permitted. Its my understanding that cops need to follow the same laws as regular civilians unless they are on a call. What are your thoughts on this? (and I'm not accusing you or any other cop of doing this, its just what I see in my area).

Retrolantern

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
whats the fine on a ticket for excessive accelleration and what kinda cop would give out a ticket for that?
Excessive accelleration is basically when someone burns tires (just fast driving would fall under speeding or 'drag racing')....Fines differ from each city/parish(county)/state. (here i think its around $150.)The kinda cop...one that enjoys working 'traffic' and esp. enjoys jackin up the 'younger crowd'

majority of cops I see on the road dont use their blinker, speed excessivly, flip their lights on to go thru redlights and then turn them off, and make all kinds of traffice violations like U turns or left hand turns where they are not permitted
Yeah, thats basically all true... non-blinker use is just cuz ya get lazy about using it. Though I try to use it when I'm in traffic. As for speeding and flipping on the lights at a red light then back off.... I know where I work we are not allowed to run our lights and sirens to just 'any' call. We have to have 'special permission' from our supervisor to run lights to a hot call. So when you see the cop just driving normal, he may actually be responding to a call. So yes, sometimes to speed things up, I will speed or bump my lights to clear a red light.
(eg. Calls that we would not use lights and siren to, but may bump them at a red light... shoplifter in custody by store employees, gas drive offs, car crash w/ no injury, fight in progress w/ no weapons)
U-turns and improper turning, basically we do those for the same type reasons. Though at 4am when theres no traffic, I'll admit.... I run traffic lights, make u-turns, go the wrong way on a one-way if its handy for where Im going.

Its my understanding that cops need to follow the same laws as regular civilians unless they are on a call
Yes, cops are governed by the same laws. I try to stay in line with most traffic laws while I'm working, especially around other traffic. Doesn't look so good if you're doing the same thing you just wrote a ticket for. But like with anything...theres some of us who try to do things right, and others who couldn't care less.

99explorer5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0L
I was pulled over for excessive acceleration three years ago when i had my motorcycle. I was at a red light and the road ahead of me was clear so i gunned it through first and second almost on the verge of pulling a wheelie but not quite. Then out of nowhere i hear sirens and there was a police officer right up my ass.

I pulled over and he screamed at me and gave me a short speech on accelerating that quick. He looked at my bike and saw that it was bran new and said look i understand you have a new quick bike but please do not do that shi* right infront of me and he explained that he was rigth behind me at the lights and knew what i was about to do because i was revving my engine. I forgot to look in my rear view mirror before i did that.:D

He ended up being the traffic supervisor and let me go with only a little speech.

My other cop story was when i first bougth my bike i was driving around for 2 months without my liecence and was pulled over by the same police officer 2 times first time for speeding and second time because he already knew that i didnt have a liecence. He just followed me home and made sure i parked it instead of giving me a ticket. He explained that because i had no liecence for the bike it would have been impounded and i would have been in serious shi* if he even wrote me a ticket for 5 mph over the limit.

So yes there are many good police officers out there and the cold weather isnt that bad over here i still think you should apply for a job here.:D