Is this Mounty worth $450? Lots of pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this Mounty worth $450? Lots of pics

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Preface: I bought a 2000 Navi (wrecked) for $400 a few months back. I'm planning on "dropping" it's 5.4 DOHC into and '02-'03 Ex or Monty. So I've been looking for a V8 with a 'bad' engine, thus cheap.

So this 2003 Mountaineer Premier 4.6l AWD with 204k miles pops up on CL the other day for $900.
Said they did a leak down test and Cyl. 1,2,3,5,7 and 8 are all 160-175. Cyl. 4 is at 110 and 6 is at 115.
Also note: no oil on dipstick, intake leaking, coils soaked in coolant.

So I went to look at it.

Again, I'd like to salvage the engine if possible (not in this case I suppose) or part it out/sell for scrap.

The Monty needs:

• a new front bumper and header panel (part grill and headlights mount to.)
  • New hood (just being picky)
  • Both upper control arms (surprise surprise right)
  • New tires soon (it's a used car)
  • Passenger rear was rubbed by something, but no real damage. Just needs buffed and a new reflector.
  • Drivers seat is trashed, I can get this at a wrecker for $45.
  • Passenger mirror glass is busted.
  • Odd stain on carpet in third row. Bleach?
  • Second and third row seats are perfect, front passenger seat needs cleaned.
  • Bezel around radio needs replaced ($20)
  • Drivers window controls panel isn't seated.
  • All metal in car is clean, undercarriage of car is really clean, no rust on either.
  • Looks like someone used Armor All or something on the interior plastic and some parts have white marks now. Should clean off.
  • Rear hitch has some odd rust, can clean up or just get another.
  • Headlights are yellowed, $40 online each.
  • Needs hood shocks
  • Rear storage compartment latch is busted and jack is missing
That's most of the bad. Owner says the trans is good.

Attachments

• Monty.JPG
    Monty.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 527
  • Fr Bpr Lft.JPG
    Fr Bpr Lft.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Fr Bpr Rht.JPG
    Fr Bpr Rht.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 468
  • Rht Crnr Bmpr.JPG
    Rht Crnr Bmpr.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 497
  • Busted Bmpr.JPG
    Busted Bmpr.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 504
  • Busted Head Panel.JPG
    Busted Head Panel.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 492

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More pictures

Attachments

• Rht Rr.JPG
    Rht Rr.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 476
  • Rht Sde.JPG
    Rht Sde.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 507
  • Pass Mirr.JPG
    Pass Mirr.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Dr Sd Door Trim.JPG
    Dr Sd Door Trim.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 474
  • Pass Sd Door Trim.JPG
    Pass Sd Door Trim.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 486
  • Hitch.JPG
    Hitch.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 503

Even more picutres

Attachments

• Bezel.JPG
    Bezel.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Bezel 2.JPG
    Bezel 2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 474
  • Bleech Stain.JPG
    Bleech Stain.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 497
  • Crgo Try.JPG
    Crgo Try.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 502
  • Cen Console.JPG
    Cen Console.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 484
  • Dash at Windw.JPG
    Dash at Windw.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 496

Some more pics

Attachments

• Drv Door Cntl.JPG
    Drv Door Cntl.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 482
  • Interior frm Back.JPG
    Interior frm Back.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 480
  • Second Row.JPG
    Second Row.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 464
  • Intr Frt.JPG
    Intr Frt.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 480
  • Tag.JPG
    Tag.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 485

I think it is worth it for $450. It has a lot of potential.

I think it is worth it for $450. It has a lot of potential.

You're not helping, you are supposed to be the voice of reason and say "no." lol :D

wider & taller

As I recall the 5.4L block is wider and taller than the 4.6L block. The 4.6L DOHC is a tight fit in a 3rd Gen Explorer/Mountaineer with rear wheel drive. I've been watching for a 2002/2003 Explorer with rear wheel drive and a shot V8 for about 6 months to install a 4.6L DOHC in. I suggest you determine if a 5.4L DOHC will fit in a AWD 3rd Gen. See '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

You're not helping, you are supposed to be the voice of reason and say "no." lol :D

Compared to "The Timing Chain Strikes Back" this seems to be a walk in the park to me haha!

[MENTION=111113]2000StreetRod[/MENTION], I know of 2 5.4's that have been installed so far, both SOHC though. Are you suggesting that the DOHC might be the issue? I'll measure real quick.

So the 4.6 is 26 5/8" wide and the 5.4 is 28 1/4". I'm guessing that the SOHC and DOHC are both the same width? Just different on the inside (between the heads) width.

Looks to be enough room on both sides.

It's worth 450 (D4 axles :), but is it worth putting that much into a high mileage '03? What would it be worth then I wonder, 3500 or so?

I'm playing with it. Or junking it if it doesn't go well. No intention of selling later for a profit. Unless the 5.4 goes well.

Sounds good Number4. I do like project trucks, I have a big shop here and would love to have one too, but it's not happening until I get back to work.

short block width?

So the 4.6 is 26 5/8" wide and the 5.4 is 28 1/4". I'm guessing that the SOHC and DOHC are both the same width? Just different on the inside (between the heads) width.

Looks to be enough room on both sides.

Are those the short block widths? I think the DOHC heads are wider than the SOHC heads.
Below is a 2003 Mach 1 DOHC 4.6L.
03Mach1.jpg

Mach1Valley.jpg

And here's a 2002 Mustang SOHC 4.6L.
2002_ford_mustang_picture%20(15).jpg

SOHCV8.jpg

I suspect that the same is true for the 5.4L DOHC vs SOHC. The engine exhaust manifolds may interfere with the steering configuration. The engine in a 2001 Navigator looks considerably taller than the 4.6L DOHC.
Navigator5.4DOHC.jpg

Will you be able to close the stock hood?

I think it's a dealer selling. Or a person that buys and sells. For a person with a bad engine in need of someone to buy it, the guy is getting pissy. It's been detailed too. No evidence of someone driving it. Just seems like they're hiding something. It needed to be 'gone this weekend' so I'll see what happens next week. His CL add got flagged and removed. I'll call the shop where it's at tomorrow to see what they say.

which PCM?

If you install a 2000 Navigator 5.4L 32 valve into a 2002/2003 Explorer/Mountaineer which PCM would you use? The Navigator probably has a larger diameter MAF sensor and higher flow injectors than the 4.6L vehicle. If you use your Explorer/Mountaineer PCM you will probably need a custom tune. If you try to use the Navigator PCM it may not support the wiring configuration of your Explorer/Mountaineer. Some of the modules in the 3rd Gen have digital instead of analog interfaces (i.e. speedometer). I think at some year Ford started embedding the VIN in modules that communicate via a digital bus. What PCM did the 5.4L conversions you're aware of use?

450 monty

Id buy it good fixer upper

If you install a 2000 Navigator 5.4L 32 valve into a 2002/2003 Explorer/Mountaineer which PCM would you use? The Navigator probably has a larger diameter MAF sensor and higher flow injectors than the 4.6L vehicle. If you use your Explorer/Mountaineer PCM you will probably need a custom tune. If you try to use the Navigator PCM it may not support the wiring configuration of your Explorer/Mountaineer. Some of the modules in the 3rd Gen have digital instead of analog interfaces (i.e. speedometer). I think at some year Ford started embedding the VIN in modules that communicate via a digital bus. What PCM did the 5.4L conversions you're aware of use?

My plan for now, assuming it'll fit, is to get the flex plate for an '08 F350 (fits other models too, possibly 08 Nav and Expo, don't remember) and install the Navigator engine whole. That is, I'll use its components. Figure out the exhaust. I don't know how well it'll drive, I plan to tow it over to Mo's Speed Shop here in Atlanta. It'll need a custom tune for sure. Should be able to use the 03 Mounty's PCM.

At this point, it'll have to be babied until I can get an upgraded converter, or I'll just toast the transmission.

LSXkilr put in a SOHC and I believe he used the stock PCM. Though his Ex is an '04. I wanted an '03 for the cable driven TB which the Navigator also uses.

stylin99 put a 5.4 3v in an '08 adrenalin before he put in a coyote engine and six speed manual trans. A little above my pay grade in ability.

Finally, GottaBigBlock put in a SOHC as well, supposedly coletrain777 went and saw it in person, but without pictures it's just hearsay.

Just Google '5.4 Explorer' and they'll come up.

I still have some more research to do, but a lot of the sensors are the same, I'll look into the specs on those that aren't. But the tune may fix this anyway.

I have the entire Navigator, so I've got all its parts available. I could take its computer, harness, cluster, engine and trans but that would require customizing the dash and a new driveline. Custom driveline would probably cost more than what I've spent on the Nav and the Mounty.

Im not doing any racing, just want a cool and unique vehicle. Who knows what I'll do to it down the road, assuming it all works out.

I paid $400 for the Nav at auction. I can get 1000 to 1500 for its engine, 400 for its trans plus a lot of misc parts and finally scrap. Get well more than what I paid.

Looks like I'm getting the Mounty on Friday. I talked to the mechanic where it's at. He said it has a bad head gasket and over heats. But aside from the cosmetic bumper damage, the cars good, especially for what I'm wanting to do. Lady who's selling bought it new. It is however 2wd, so no AWD tire action.

In all honesty, I don't know when I'm going to start this, like you, I'm gathering parts. I still need to put my '94 Explorers engine back in. Having [MENTION=17822]Turdle[/MENTION] powder coat some parts for that. Need the garage space that the '94 is occupying.

I don't plan to post anything until it's completed or completely failed. I hate those long threads that span years with everyone bumping. Especially the expectation from everyone at that point.

In the mean time, I think I'll pull the heads off the '03 Mounty and see if I can't fix it.

I'm mechanically inclined and have the support of this forum and YouTube, but I'm certainly not a Technician let alone a professional mechanic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id buy it good fixer upper

Plan is to pick it up Friday. I'm going to try and fix the head gasket (if that's it) and make it a regular driver. Paint or replace the bumper. Will know more once I remove it.

I figure, for $400 (dropped $50 woohoo) a can't really lose. I should be able to recover it worse case.
[MENTION=111113]2000StreetRod[/MENTION], on the hood, we'll find out. I have two extra hoods as it is now, may make a cowl hood.

On a side note, I thought reverse cowls were to let hot air out. Didn't realize it was a low pressure zone for taking fresh air in.

Back