Is this normal milage?

suyoung93

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have 2002 XLT. 4.0...

I was not interested in gas milage before I've been here.

But many people here make me be interested in that.

I checked and got 13 mpg in city driving... always less than 10 minute driving...

I did not check hwy milage yet...

Do you guys think this is okay? 13 mpg?

It's actually under what I expected....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it stock? It seems pretty low for a year old 4.0. Even my '97 got 17 - 18 mpg for the first 3 years.

sounds about right considering you always take short trips. MPG will always be lower with a cold engine.

i've got a 96 limited and the gage always says i avrg. about 17.9 on city and hwy is about 22 mpg . just my 2 cents

what should I do to increase mpg?
Do I need any basic mod or something?

I have a 2002 4x4 4.0 and I average in mixed hwy city driving about 15mpg, 16mpg.

suyoung93 said:
I have 2002 XLT. 4.0...
always less than 10 minute driving...

Like I said above: that's the key. If you always take short trips, it's not gonna change much unless something is actually wrong and gets fixed.

Thats probably about all your gonna get, I have a 95 4x4 with a 4.0 and on the interstate I can get around 20 if I drive right, but last week I had it in the city all week where the most driving I did was to look for a parking space and my milage dropped to around 15 with the highway driving averaged in, so just city you are probably looking at 13 or even less

There are a few things you can check but on one that new it probably won't help much, here are a few to get you started:

Catalytic converter coult be plugged (highly unlikely on that new of a car)
Muffler coult be plugged (ditto)
Air filter could be plugged
Could be bad gas (I have heard about gas stations with leaky storage tanks getting water in the gas)
Under inflated tires (this one doesn't make a big difference, but every little bit helps and under inflation can shorten the life of the tire)

Thats all I can think of right now

I average about 20 MPG in "on town only" driving.

If you "race" from obe stop light to the next one, you will get poor mileage.

Drive with your head and not your right foot.

Jake Howk said:
Under inflated tires (this one doesn't make a big difference, but every little bit helps and under inflation can shorten the life of the tire)

I have found a good 2 MPG difference in mileage by varying the air pressure, See the quote below :

>>I was shocked to see that I averaged only 28.2 MPG. That is down over 2 MPG over what I normally achieve on the identical trip.

After driving around the ranch and the Atlanta area, I thought to check the tire pressure; alas, it was only 32 psig, yikes! I forgot to refill the tires to 40 psig for the trip. That error was quickly remedied.

The return trip netted an average of 30.2 MPG. To err is human?. to air is divine.<< From the following thread.... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=927085&highlight=quest#post927085

Was that with an Explorer, because if so, 30 mpg is more than just good driving habits

I've been to Madison a few times and 13 mpg sounds about right. I average 11 in Chicago where you generally can't drive more than 4 blocks (1/2 mile) without hitting a stoplight. I know Madison doesn't have as many stoplights, but you've got a lot more hills.

Woody I feel your pain...I live in Chicago and my 03 XLT with the V8 only gets about 11 in the city and 16 on the highway. This city traffic sucks!

I am also a lead foot so that don't help at all. Everyone else I know that have Explorers in the city have about the same mileage.

Recently I checked my MPG very carefully again.

Like I said, my trips are always short... Madison is very small city... I can go anywhere in Madison in 10 minutes

Anyway, I filled the tires(35 front, 40 rear).

and I drove explorer like an old man's buick...

Finally I got 15~16 mpg average in city and 20 mpg in hwy.

Now I feel a little bit comfortable...

Next week I will get an Apten chip and will test mpg again.

did you just say that Madison is a small city?

suyoung93 said:
Recently I checked my MPG very carefully again.

Like I said, my trips are always short... Madison is very small city... I can go anywhere in Madison in 10 minutes

Anyway, I filled the tires(35 front, 40 rear).

and I drove explorer like an old man's buick...

Finally I got 15~16 mpg average in city and 20 mpg in hwy.

Now I feel a little bit comfortable...

Next week I will get an Apten chip and will test mpg again.

35 in the front and 40 in the rear? Isn't that a little on the high side? What size tires are we talking about?
I keep mine at 32 PSI all aroud.
Depending on the situation and MPH I get between 14 and 20 MPG. 14 to 16 in the city and 18 t0 20 on the highway. 16 to 18 on the h-way if I'm at or over 75MPH. Around 20MPG if I keep it at 70MPH or under. Needless to say I don't see 20MPG too often.

Yes, for most tires that is on the high side. Will result in a harsher ride and bad tire wear and also less traction.

Remember, mileage is great, but if you're wearing out your tires faster you're spending the same money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec said:
Yes, for most tires that is on the high side. Will result in a harsher ride and bad tire wear and also less traction.

Remember, mileage is great, but if you're wearing out your tires faster you're spending the same money.

You're riding on the center of the tire, the shoulders not making proper contact with the pavement. Like you said, I see this as making for poor traction. I don't see the few extra miles per tank full, being worth the saftey concerns.

Back