Is this normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this normal?

PJR202

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
My wife has brought this up several times.

When accelerating either aggressively or somewhat aggressively, it seems like the gears hit a higher than normal RPM before shifting. The shift is smooth though..no thumping. Ours is a 2013 and we've had it about 2 months. It's always done this, and I'm pretty sure another 13 we test drove did it, which is what I've told her. But, I'd feel better knowing that it's normal.

???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normal. The transmission programming on these are terrible. They hold gears and RPM longer than any other I've driven.

sweet. as long as it shifts smooth i'm ok with it...lol. she seems to think it's struggling, but that engine really has some pep to it compared to the Acadia we traded. i just consider it not a struggle, but rather that it's trying really hard to impress us.

It's normal. The computer is sensing that you are being aggressive with the gas pedal so in return it is telling the engine to be aggressive. Yea, it wastes more fuel but if you're aggressively giving it gas then I'm sure MPG isn't something you're to worried about. If I need to give my vehicle some extra gas to either pass someone to get off of a ramp, I'd much rather have it shift at 6,000 RPM's rather than 5,000 RPM'S.

it just seems to do it at points where most cars wouldnt do it. it's a little early and my wife thinks i'm trying to drag race or something..lol

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. lol

It usually happens for me going into 3rd gear, so I either back off the gas a bit at that point or just use manual shift if it really annoys me.

My MKT does it as well and I find myself backing off the accelerator a bit to get it to shift. Next time I'll see if the paddle shifter will do it.

Peter

Normal.

It's particularly noticeable if you are coming from a gobs-of-torque-at-low-rpm V8-equiped vehicle, which are normally set to shift earlier and still have enough power on reserve if you suddenly need power. Even though the torque on the V6 is present a low rpm, if you want to get the drivability you get with a V8 from a V6, with a fairly large heavy vehicle, and with 6 speeds to manage, this is one artifact of that.

I have found that even in D you can force an upshift early with the paddle shifter, which I do from time to time, when not anticipating a sudden need for power.

I notice that the friction and throw of the accelerator pedal (its "feel") seems to promote heavy acceleration, presumably to give it the feeling of a vehicle that "wants to go".

This is also an artifact of an automatic transmission vs standard. The auto has no idea when you're going to need power suddenly, so it must be prepared and ready for it at all times - it's a REACTIVE transmission.

A manual transmission, on the other hand is a PROACTIVE transmission, depending on who's driving it. The driver is aware of his power needs before he actually needs them in most cases, so he can upshift, or skip-shift, early if needed, or shift late if more power is required. The paddle-shifting "auto-manual" does allow some compromise between the two, one thing I like very much.

I'll also add the observation that it is easy to drive the Ex in a manner that sacrifices MPG. And I think that is the default condition of someone who just jumps in the car and drives, which might explain gripes of poor fuel mileage. You have to be a lot more conscious of your foot position on the gas and do it easy if you are after best fuel mileage. More so than other vehicles I've driven.

Although I do at appropriate times drive with enthusiasm, I have also been a hyper-miler since my teen years (when traffic permits) and I have a lot more technical observations to make on the Ex regarding that, but maybe that's a topic for another time and forum threads.
;)

On my 14 Sport, it seems to really hold 4th gear longer than it should. Other gears are “normal”, but I find myself hitting the paddle upshift do go into 5th gear quite often.

Back