Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Perhaps there is a good reason it shouldn't have it. After all, the ST is a 'performance' vehicle, whereas the other trims are not. Of all the Explorers on my dealer's lot, only the ST didn't have the deflector. I'm still not convinced it should be there.

Peter

This makes sense to me. It mirrors what I see on my dealer's lot, and is in line with Ford continuing to produce STs in January w/o the deflector.
If you look a bit further back in this thread, the Platinums with the 3.0 TT V6 were also missing this part. It wasn't just the ST. When I looked on a local Ford dealer lot, XLT and Limited 2.3 models all had deflectors and all 3.0 models did not.

Maybe it's something specific to the engine and/or exhaust of the 3.0 Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you look a bit further back in this thread, the Platinums with the 3.0 TT V6 were also missing this part. It wasn't just the ST. When I looked on a local Ford dealer lot, XLT and Limited 2.3 models all had deflectors and all 3.0 models did not.
I believe that applied to the earlier ones and they are definitely in the minority. None of those were trims were missing it on my dealer's lot.

Peter

My dealer had a XLT on the showroom floor that was missing the rear deflector.

Ford really needs to come out and answer this topics question. I am going to show my dealership this forum posts as other people it was covered and installed. I wish we had some kind of Ford insider that would help answer this question.

Otherwise, ST is a beast to say the least.

Ford really needs to come out and answer this topics question. I am going to show my dealership this forum posts as other people it was covered and installed. I wish we had some kind of Ford insider that would help answer this question.

I would recommend you call Ford customer service. They know all about this issue already and also the tow hook. They will open a case # and then you just call your dealer sales manager.

I called Ford customer service twice. Both reps were completely unable to help, even after I had provided them with the part numbers for the rear deflector and tow hook, as well as my VIN. By unable, I don't mean unwilling, but completely clueless on how to look anything up. I've never had good experiences with Ford phone customer service.

I called Ford customer service twice. Both reps were completely unable to help, even after I had provided them with the part numbers for the rear deflector and tow hook, as well as my VIN. By unable, I don't mean unwilling, but completely clueless on how to look anything up. I've never had good experiences with Ford phone customer service.
If going by the Ford Reps that used to be on this Forum, that was not part of their job. They were basically a go-between the customer and the Regional Customer Service Managers to help get concerns looked after.

Peter

Just a theory, it could be that with the 3.0 EcoBoost on the Platinum & ST the benefit of the improved aerodynamics with this Air-Deflector was not worth the added cost. Another theory, maybe the 3.0's exhaust needs more cooling and hence the deflector removed. Also, the rear bumper on the ST/Platinum have bigger openings for the quad exhausts, this could affect the airflow, hence the difference. And it could just be a big mess and/or cost cutting.

The Platinums that I've seen on the lots have the deflector. The only ones missing it are the ST's. My Aviator with the 3.0 has the deflector.

Peter

Just looked at my local dealer who has 15 on the lot. 2 xlt's are missing it where the rest of the XLTs have it and 1 Platinum is missing it. They have a secondary lot I am heading to now to check there.

20200303_141346.jpg
20200303_141308.jpg
20200303_141253.jpg

Another platinum and XLT without it.

20200303_142246.jpg
20200303_142210.jpg

11 pages on this thread, you would think someone from FMC would answer the question on this part. Mine is now installed by the dealer, I think the vehicle looks more "finished" with it in place, just my opinion. It would be nice to hear back from the Explorer owner who was going to meet with the Ford engineering team.
TBill

The factory did not get the memo. Still building the ST's with the enigmatic part!
It is probably a supply chain issue. But, but..

But I also heard a theory about the top speed of the 3.0 vs the 4 cylinders. It seems the 3.0's are limited to 148 mph and the 4 cylinders to 125 mph, even the tires for both models are speed rated differently. Meaning that at 140+ mph you indeed need the down-force turbulence the deflector is designed to minimize.

Deflector at the Factory.png

The Platinums that I've seen on the lots have the deflector. The only ones missing it are the ST's. My Aviator with the 3.0 has the deflector.

Peter

Unfortunately, it does not have the nifty bumper with the cover for the hitch. I've got to get the pics of my Reserve Hybrid posted....

Dealer installed the air deflector on my ST this morning.

How did you get the dealership to install your air deflector, I cant get my dealership to do anything?

My dealer initially told me they would cover the labor charge if I purchased the part. They said the missing part was Ford's fault not theirs (which is true), and if I didn't want to pay for the part, I'd have to get Ford's authorization to cover the cost of the part. I called Ford Customer Service (FCS) in mid-January. They told me they would look into the matter, gave me a case number and told me they would get back with me. Five days later I hadn't heard from FCS so I called back for an update. I was told that my case had not been escalated properly. It should have been escalated to Ford corporate, and that would now be done. One day later I got a call from the Ford Regional Customer Care Center. They informed me that Ford had contacted my dealer and authorized payment for the part and it's installation. They also said they would expedite shipment of the part to my dealer since it was on back-order nationally. The part arrived at the dealership in mid-February, and as I said, it was installed today.

One last thing, if your dealer wants to pull the "it's not part of your vehicle's build order" angle, the air deflector wasn't part of my build order yet Ford corporate approved it. I really have never understood this angle anyway. Why would Ford include in a build order a part they deem to be non-essential and know to be in short supply or not available? I'm guessing that the air deflector fits this scenario ergo as limited supplies become available some vehicles get it and some don't. That's simply my guess FWIW. Only Ford knows for sure. Good luck!

My dealer initially told me they would cover the labor charge if I purchased the part. They said the missing part was Ford's fault not there's (which is true), and if I didn't want to pay for the part, I'd have to get Ford's authorization to cover the cost of the part. I called Ford Customer Service (FCS) in mid-January. They told me they would look into the matter, gave me a case number and told me they would get back with me. Five days later I hadn't heard from FCS so I called back for an update. I was told that my case had not been escalated properly. It should have been escalated to Ford corporate, and that would now be done. One day later I got a call from the Ford Regional Customer Care Center. They informed me that Ford had contacted my dealer and authorized payment for the part and it's installation. They also said they would expedite shipment of the part to my dealer since it was on back-order nationally. The part arrived at the dealership in mid-February, and as I said, it was installed today.

One last thing, if your dealer wants to pull the "it's not part of your vehicle's build order" angle, the air deflector wasn't part of my build order yet Ford corporate approved it. I really have never understood this angle anyway. Why would Ford include in a build order a part they deem to be non-essential and know to be in short supply or not available? I'm guessing that the air deflector fits this scenario ergo as limited supplies become available some vehicles get it and some don't. That's simply my guess FWIW. Only Ford knows for sure. Good luck!
Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealership told me that the ST diagrams did not show that it was suppose to be even on there. I will print this topic and bring it to them and show them.

Back