Is this the balance shaft tensioner guide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this the balance shaft tensioner guide

adu1982

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 4dr Explorer XLT
IMAG0030.jpg

So i did the oil pan gasket and found these 2 metal pieces and plastic ends. I bought the truck at 210k , now it is at about 225k , sound is the same since i bought it as I did not know about the timing chain plastic guides.

Am i right are these the part of the balance shaft tensioner or from other guides from the chain. I think I saw something resembling these pieces somewhere right after i found out about the issues with the chain but can't find it now.

The rattle is not too bad sometimes barely noticeable over the regular 200k engine noise.

Except for the back chain (which I know engine must be pulled) how complicated is it to replace the guide myself, if anybody knows which one this is part of ? It looks like the 2 metal pieces fit in the 2 plastic pieces that have a recess in them.

I have done radiator, struts, tie rods, ac evaporator core and clutch and leak repair, hub wheels, and such on this truck and I have some tools.

If not how long do I might have until it blows up, and should the rattling get worse before it does that, so I can kinda tell.

Might be planning on a winter trip to WV (i'm in jax, fl) wouldn't wanne be stuck in snow. Since i bought it we went on a couple trips (2 miami, one to atlanta, no real change in the rattle sound in the 9 months we've had it)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tensioner replacement

Normally the block girdle (upper oil pan) must be removed to replace the balance shaft chain tensioner because the base mounting bolts are vertical. Some members have avoided that by just removing the front timing cover, removing just the tensioner while leaving the old base in place, and then sliding on the new tensioner unto the old base.

thks streetrod did not know you could just swap those out. I will try that but it will be a while.

Since the rattle is not too bad, no real shaking, and only paid 2500 for the truck (about 1k in repairs so far) i'm gonna go for it like this for a while.

Just moved in our house, new to us, about 9 months ago, about the same time we got the truck, so don't have all the tools i want (like a much needed air compressor which i think i need to take off the front cover right?). My truck is an ex pensylvania truck i think so it is rusted to hell and back. I had to drill and cut bolts for every bigger job so far ...struts, hub wheels, radiator, ac...

I also saw quite a few guys that drove with the rattle for a while (like many many miles) ...i think i will start a post about that to kinda see how much time i have.

air tools

I have no air tools and have replaced all of my timing chain components.

My 2WD does not have a balance shaft but in my opinion the balance shaft chain tensioner is the least critical of the timing chain tensioners. You may not have any problems until the chain eventually breaks and gets wedged into something that rotates.

I replaced my front one with just hand tools. The hardest part was getting the harmony balancer off. Next to that was making sure I got all the pieces out of the oil pan. If you look in Haynes and such they tell you to pull the motor but is only if it is the back one. To give yourself some extra working space pull the radiator it is well worth the time. I did the whole job in one weekend.

Back