• Register Today It's free!

Is this the end !!!!

darklord

Reaction score
City, State
united kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4l xlt
Just got back of holls.....used explorer as usual to tow my t/a caravan up and down the M5 ,on the way down it developed a drone like a bearing or something more serious it just came on no gradual increase in sound,it appears to be coming from the rear but as with all sounds it can come from anyware,poped into a couple of local garages got 3 answers 1.transmission shot,2front diff/wheel bearings 3.rear diff wheel bearings.now totally confused.also don`t no if connected the car strugles to reverse the caravan up an incline not engine power but drive... little gas no movement more gas to much not good when tight manovering.
If it is the transmission is it more cost effective to buy a new explorer ?
any answers greatly appreciated

1999 XLT
prinns lpg
120000mls
caravan 1800kg
T.B.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TB

If you can't get it to someone who can accurately disgnose it, try by replacing the cheapest/easiest parts first. Front hubs, front diff and transfer box are fairly easy to do. After that the transmission. Transfer box and transmission may cause power transfer problems in reverse. How does it behave in 4x4 high or 4x4 low?

Duncan Clarke
Ford Explorer Services and Parts, Aylesbury, HP19 8DY
Tel 07949 158239. email watsontv@fsmail.net

Thanks for the reply
transfer box was replaced 6 months ago,
seems ok in 4x4 low & high seems to have more of a problem when car is hot after a days towing
t.b.

I will agree with Duncan, but would like to add few things, i.e. start from your wheel hubs, like lift your wheel one by one & check for for free movemnts, same time try to listen sound of CV joints, keep moving towards to front differencial then drive shafts or gear case before you end up changing gear box or transmission & the problem is miner laying some where ther,
good luck

Hi,

Agree with all the sugestions so far. I note your comment on the problem appearing to start or be noticed after a days towing.

I would check oil in diffs and t/box and change if it appears a bit iffy. The symptoms you describe also sound a bit like 'axel wind' so it may be the tyres, perhaps they are different tread patterns, depth of tread or a replacement tyre is directional and fitted on the wrong side and causes the problem. When you say a day of towing is that just to/from the holiday or is it a daily occurance.

All the best

Boots

thanks boots
the noise is constant now towing or not
will start checking diffs /bearings tomorow

Back