Is this the timing chain noise? Possibly something else? 2005 Explorer 4.0L XLT ticking noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this the timing chain noise? Possibly something else? 2005 Explorer 4.0L XLT ticking noise

Muchmore

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4.0 XLT
Hello!
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 with 4x4. It only has 94k miles, but I suppose that doesn't make it immune to time. The easiest way to describe it is that it sounds like a tractor or a TDI diesel. The ticking is pretty regular once warmed up. It runs absolutely fine, with no noticeable loss of power. I can feel quite a bit of vibration coming from the right valve cover gasket, and not as much vibration from the left. Unfortunately, my gas commuter broke down 2 weeks ago, I guess when it rains it pours.

Here's a quick video:

This was after it was warmed up and had been driven nearly 30 minutes. I'll stop driving it haha.

The car did sit for nearly a year during the pandemic when I wasn't getting out much but had been running fine the last month.

I'm sure you've figured it out by now but sounds more like valve and cam slapping. Low oil, bad oil pump etc.

I’d say yes.

Back