Is this the water pump leaking? [pics] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this the water pump leaking? [pics]

TheGourdGod

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4
Callsign
Smokedog
Trying to figure out if that is the water pump leaking coolant.

Trying to get Old Blue back in shape!

Used dye and a black light.

Here's a link to the pictures

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the front timing cover gasket gone bad. Very common leak. I recommend replacing it with the Motorcraft/Ford Gasket and not the parts store versions as they do not hold up as well. It is more involved than replacing the water pump but it can be done with the engine in the Explorer.

That is the front timing cover gasket gone bad. Very common leak. I recommend replacing it with the Motorcraft/Ford Gasket and not the parts store versions as they do not hold up as well. It is more involved than replacing the water pump but it can be done with the engine in the Explorer
Thank you! Was just doing a little research and I came to the same conclusion.

Appreciate the help!

Thank you! Was just doing a little research and I came to the same conclusion.

Appreciate the help!
If you don’t want to go that route put some stop leak in your radiator should stop it no problem. That's what fixed mine, lasted 30+ thousands miles.

It’ll work, follow the directions!

That is the front timing cover gasket gone bad. Very common leak. I recommend replacing it with the Motorcraft/Ford Gasket and not the parts store versions as they do not hold up as well. It is more involved than replacing the water pump but it can be done with the engine in the Explorer.
I've done my timing cover and water pump. Pull radiator and it's not terrible. Much easier if you pull the condenser and grill to get a impact on that harmonic balancer puller. Radiator stop leak could work but it's not the best way to do it as it can clog passages and rows of the radiator but thats more common on single row smaller radiators.

Back