Is this worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TheMaker2K

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I just got a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT this past week after my Suzuki SX4 finally died and gave me reason to get a better vehicle lol. Well, I got the vehicle for a very good deal off of my dad’s friend (he owns a dealership, vehicle looks amazing. New plugs, hoses, tires, and brakes). Only problems are as follows

-Service Engine Soon light came on the way home from buying it, codes for it are listed below.
-O/D Off light randomly flashes and doesn’t stop for the rest of the trip.

Error Codes read by cousin’s professional computer
P0775 - Pressure Control Solenoid B
2nd gear incorrect ratio and 5th gear incorrect ratio ( I believe the incorrect ratio codes were P0732 and P0735, but I know the computer read incorrect ratio for gears 2 and 5.)

It shifts rough but only in to second gear it seems. Is it worth putting money in it to fix with 149,000 miles? Just worried it won’t pass a Pennsylvania inspection because of check engine light. If you let off the accelerator while it’s revving high the vehicle seems perfectly fine. Thank you all very much!

Here is a video of my Explorer (too big to upload):

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PA inspection doesn’t care about the lights being on. Is it’s not the shift solenoid, you likely have a broken band. I’d have my dad take that junker back. I guarantee those codes were stored in the vehicle before they worked on it, and they cleared it to sell the vehicle. You’ve been ripped off.

Is it worth fixing? Probably only if it’s a pan drop and a solenoid. Otherwise you are looking at a transmission rebuild. Don’t drive it like this, or you will be looking at a rebuild. And after all that, if you don’t know the history of it, it might still be on the original timing components. Is it nice and quiet at start up, or does it rattle for a second?

The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.

2002 Ford Explorer problems

........ I guarantee those codes were stored in the vehicle before they worked on it, and they cleared it to sell the vehicle. You’ve been ripped off.
+1

This is why you got “such a good deal”.

Bring it right back. Buy elsewhere.

What is a good deal, by the way?

$1300, it doesn’t seem to rattle at startup. I don’t mind putting a little money in to it, but if it is a transmission rebuild Idk if I’d want to do it because there are no guarantees it lives for very long with 149k miles. Thank you all for replying.

I guess buy a solenoid and do a pan drop. It’s possible it will fix it.

$400-$500 to replace solenoid pack, $1800-$2500 to rebuild transmission. Does this sound good or am I getting swindled? Thank you all so much!

I wouldn’t pay 500 for a solenoid pack. At the most I’d buy the parts and the “family friend” dealership that screwed me would put it in free.

Otherwise, I’d stand outside his lot with a sign, and he’d sell a lot less cars when I wasn’t working. I saw a guy standing out in the rain with a well written sign about how the dealership conned him. I looked at many car dealers for trucks, but that was never one.

1,800-2,500 is about normal for a rebuild.

So long story short, I bought this car in my dad’s name (I’m 18 and insurance is ridiculous if it was in my name, so he thought it was best) and he never saw it was as is. His friend said he would fix it when he gets money, so it likely won’t happen as I don’t trust him near as much as my dad. So basically I’m out my money and have no way to return the vehicle.

I have no money to get this repaired for a little while and have to drive this as is for 140 miles a week (college is 35 miles away). Am I safe? Am I going to damage this vehicle outside of the transmission? I am now very concerned as the 35 mile trip to college is mostly speeds of 45-60. It seems once I get passed 2nd gear it runs fine, it is just goes to 2.5RPM to get there and then shifts when I take my foot of the gas. Thank you all very much, I’m sorry if I’m annoying. I am just very worried about the situation I am now in.

I thought his friend owned the dealership?

If you run the vehicle as is you may take a minor problem and turn it into a 2,500 bill.

His friend does own a private auto sales shop, he doesn’t service vehicles he brings them to local shops. Hoping he can bring mine soon or he’ll have to reimburse me. What kind of damage am I doing to the vehicle running it like this to be exact?

Hard to say. If you damage the transmission beyond the valve body it’s a rebuild regardless of what the damage is.

If he can’t get it fixed, get another junker off his lot to drive for a week or two.

Back