Isn't Motorcraft Oil Already Synthetic? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Isn't Motorcraft Oil Already Synthetic?

Aldive i hear the Napa Filters are just as good as the Wix filters ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do I correctly perceive that you are not going to answer questions or provide us with information on the study you keep mentioning?

Excon: Awesome website about motorcycles, which I have 2. I have to admitted I learned a few new things about my motorcycles. Although, there nothing there prove that WIX is a bad filter! All I could see is "FRAM" is junk and the guy even think "SUPERTECH" Wal-mart filters is a better filter then most. I would use Supertech over Fram any day!

Ranger Al, don't say I didn't warn you about WIX filters!! I simply can't find info to link it to you. TRUST ME WIX IS WORSE THAN FRAM!!!

ExCon said:
Ranger Al, don't say I didn't warn you about WIX filters!! I simply can't find info to link it to you. TRUST ME WIX IS WORSE THAN FRAM!!!

How do you rate NAPA filters?

ExCon said:

Thanks for the warning...

As the articles from the website goes, I have better chance with Supertech (Wal-mart) then FRAM. WIX rated above FRAM, so I have no FRAM on any of my vehicle.

I've read somewhere that NAPA is one of the better filter. I too would go with NAPA if I could get a reasonable price at my local NAPA auto parts.

Anyone know how to get group purchase in quality oil filter? Maybe somebody here work for auto part store that could get discount? I personally, would like to get a couple cases of quality filters for my wife Chubby S-10 and my Ranger.

Ranger Al said:
I've read somewhere that NAPA is one of the better filter. I too would go with NAPA if I could get a reasonable price at my local NAPA auto parts.

NAPA filters are good filters, and guess what, they are made by the same company that makes Wix as well as many OEM branded filters.

I would like to switch to synthetic oil for my 2000 XLT with 55K miles and 4.0L SOHC engine. The Mobil 1 website recommends 5W-40 oil for SUVs. Does anyone have an opinion on advantages/disadvantages of using the 5W-40 weight synthetic oil instead of the 5W-30 originally recommended by the manufacturer?

I fail to see what being an SUV has to do with what type of oil to run. SUV motor's vary greatly, and require different oils. I'd run the recommended 5w-30.

jkexplorer said:
I would like to switch to synthetic oil for my 2000 XLT with 55K miles and 4.0L SOHC engine. The Mobil 1 website recommends 5W-40 oil for SUVs. Does anyone have an opinion on advantages/disadvantages of using the 5W-40 weight synthetic oil instead of the 5W-30 originally recommended by the manufacturer?

I see no reason not to go synthetic. As far as the weight of the oil, I also see no reason to go to 40 oil.

I use 0w30 and I have 115k miles.

Good luck .....

Thanks for the info. I am curious as to why you chose to go with 0W-30 as opposed to 5W-30. Are there any advantages?

Thanks,

Jerry

jkexplorer said:
Thanks for the info. I am curious as to why you chose to go with 0W-30 as opposed to 5W-30. Are there any advantages?

Thanks,

Jerry

I use 0w30 simply to get the best possible gas mileage.

I saw your truck on the website above. Great job plus 30 mpg - WOW!!! You are definitely doing everything right. I am lucky if I can squeeze 17 mpg on a freeway out of my Explorer. If the synthetic oil gives me an extra 2 mpg or anything for that matter I'll be happy.

Thanks,

Jerry

So what's the difference in full synthetics? Why is Amsoil better than WalMart or other cheaper brands. I have read that non syn oils have different sized molecules which are the reason they break down so much quicker where as Synthetic oils have uniform sized molecules which is the reason for the longer life. If this is true then synthetic blends that mix un uniform molecules with the pure synthetic molecules defeat the purpose of synthetic oil. Besides of which, oil companies refuse to disclose what minute quantity of synthetic goes into their blend. I have a 1993 Chev truck and a 1991 Mazda B2200. Both have 0ver 200,000 miles and do not use oil. I have been using the WalMart Supertech Synthetic for years.

I think its mostly the additives packages that go into the oil, just like the gasoline. It all comes form the same pipeline, its just the gas companies secret ****tail that gets added.

Back